My bunny has malignant tumours - anyone have experience of care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAT66

Reaction score
My female bunny Ginger was neutered some months ago. All seemed ok for a while until I found some small lumps and an infected nipple. She had an op to remove them, but the vet said he saw she had a lump on her liver, but couldn't remove it at the same time due to high risk. I found another lump this week, the vet scanned her and operated to removed the lump, however he found she had multiple tumours on her gut, which he has said are inoperable. She will need to start chemotherapy in a week.

Has anyone got experience of this and if so, what are her chances of survival and moreso comfort? Does anyone know of alternative treatments such as natural medicines that could help her.

She is comfortable now, eating, drinking but a little quiet due to post op.

I have no idea how she got cancer - there seems no answer to this, so I have to think about the best way to help her now.

Any advice is most welcome.

Thank you.

I'm so sorry about your bun not being well. I have no personal experience with this, but you may be able to find some helpful info in older threads by doing a search. Here's one that I found.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/thymoma-cancer-75044/

Also googling chemo and rabbits, will bring up more info, including others personal experiences.

Best of wishes to both you and your bun, and I hope you are able to find a successful treatment for her.

I'm so sorry about your bun not being well. I have no personal experience with this, but you may be able to find some helpful info in older threads by doing a search. Here's one that I found.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f27/thymoma-cancer-75044/

Also googling chemo and rabbits, will bring up more info, including others personal experiences.

Best of wishes to both you and your bun, and I hope you are able to find a successful treatment for her.

thank you for your advice and kind words :bunnyheart

I'm so sorry to hear that. Cancer is a terrible thing, I really hope that things work out and it can be treated.

I don't think I could ever put a pet of mine through chemo, it might depend on circumstances I suppose, but after seeing the effects it had on my mum, I wouldn't want to subject an animal who didn't understand what was going on to it. I'm not trying to make negative of your decision, if you think it's the right thing to do, then by all means do it and I really wish you the best. It's just me personally, I don't think I could.

It's hard to know how to make it easier for your bunny. Whether it will be similar or not, but chemo made my mum feel very cold all the time, but if you're bunny's kept inside you shouldn't have a problem with that. Just make sure she's keeping hydrated and eating well. If she's feeling really ill you might have to syringe feed water and critical care mix. If really depends how the chemo affects her, every case is different.

I have been trying to find out as much as I can about the best possible treatment for my lovely BunBear (Ginger) who I fear time is against us as she has been diagnosed with mammory carcinoma which has spread in mini tumours to her gut wall.

The diagnosis post surgery is that she is fit and currently well enough to have chemo which I know so little about other than seeing the effects it has on people I have known, but am sure it is a different story when it is applied to our dear bunnies/

Through been sent a few replies thus far and links supplied, one lead me to someone whose bun was given Tamoxifen for the same illness and the results seemed successful, however my research online has lead me to this treatment for women with breast cancer.

Bun is recovering from post op, 3 days ago and so far is amazing me beyond belief how well she is doing, BUT the chemo is due to start next Monday and I am scrambling to try and find the best and right help for her if that is available.

I am not kidding myself that a miracle will appear (a bit actually) so if any of you know of the least aggressive treatment, please let me know.

I have read others who have tried to find the same and it seems there is so little info available.

She has spent the best part of this afternoon munching grass and running between plant pots in the garden, so I know she's not done yet.

My bunny just went through this. Hopefully, the cancer was caught in time for yours. The problem with mammary cancer, is it can continue to spread to each mammary gland. Daphne had three malignant masses, all were removed. My vet was against chemo as she said she did not have good results with bunnies. Even after the surgery, another small lump was felt. I ended up putting my girl to sleep; she had some neuro issues after it was over. My vet thinks the cancer spread, even though the tumors were successfully removed. Good luck to your Ginger, I hope they caught it in time. My bunny was an elder bun too, so I don't think that helped.

Genna Gatdula

Latest posts

Back