My Bunny Has Fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBunnySpaz

Reaction score
I Dont know what ishould use to get rid of the fleas on my rabbit she's only about amonth old and its not a big flea problem i was just wondering ifthere's a sertin type of flea medicine for rabbits or if dog fleashampoo would be okay please email me if you know[email protected]

thankyou

Spaz and her owner:D

I had major problems using Revolution (bunnydied). I use kitty flea powder when needed, and a flea comb a coupledays after powdering. I'm experimenting with this really smelly oilcalled Tea Tree Oil (melaleuca)--drop it on the comb and brush thru thefur. So far so good, but the jury's still out on that one.

I wouldn't advise washing. They detest water and the dog shampoo might be kind of harsh.

Oh yeah, if the bunny is only a month you can't use the powder (must be12 wks). Try the comb though, but you have to do it thoroughly andoften. Also you could try powdering with garlic powder, which I haveyet to try (but it's safe, ask the others who feed bunnies garlic).

If you try melaleuca, it's kind of strong so try not to get it right onthe skin. It gets a little red. Just comb through the fur.

I'm always worried about fleas on young bunnies because you can'treally use anything chemical at that age. Good luck, and let us allknow if you find something that works (and beware of vets who tell yousomething's safe for bunnies and often don't really have a clue....)

Rose

I agree with rabbitgirl about treatment. Have to add that you want tofind a rabbit saavy vet. They're out there, don't be afraid tointerview them before you hand your rabbit over.

As rabbitgirl said, with the little one being so young, the safest wayto get rid of them is by using a flea comb and combing her every day.Kill the fleas by dipping the comb in warm soapy water. Make sure thecomb is thoroughly rinsed before you continue to comb.

If you have other animals, treat them all for fleas and wash allbedding, etc. Once all other animals have gotten rid of them and youkeep up your routine of treating the rabbit, hopefully you should begood to go if the infestation isn't too terrible.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back