My bunny has a firm lump on incision site

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowflakesmama

Reaction score
Hey guys. I got Snowflake spayed February 13, 2012. She recovered fast, is eating a lot, pooping a lot. She seems healthy.

A few days after her surgery, she removed the external sutures.. I took her to the vet, they said she hadn't removed the internal ones, and would be okay.

Well.. Weeks later it is now a firm, hard lump.. Is this normal?

Nancy McClelland wrote:
:yeahthat: Keep an eye on it. Maybe call the vet and express your concerns.
Ditto! When in doubt, call the Vet. But if there is no kind of seepage, pus or redness of infection, and you will know the difference, your bun is probably ok.

But if you keep feeling concerned, a call to the Vet will help you with peace of mind.

K :)

I would call the vet and ask. They probably used dissolving sutures under the skin, which will just be absorbed by the body eventually. Sometimes, animals will have a bad reaction to the suture material, leading to inflammation and/or infection near the sutures. It sounds like this could be happening. Inflammation isn't that bad, but infection is. Does the lump feel any warmer than the surrounding tissue?

Back