my bunny died today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slambogi

Reaction score
On Monday I bought a baby rabbit from the Fashion District in LA for $20. I'm not sure what breed or how old she was but she was about 8-12oz and about 4-6 inches long and 3-4 inches high. She was really sweet-tempered but she wouldn't really drink her water and for the last couple of days her rectum had been bloody. This morning she started acting funny; she was really lethargic and started kicking furiously on her side. When I tried to put her back on her feet, she kept on going back on her side and kicking. I tried to give her water through an eyedropper and she opened her mouth really big as though she was going to drink it but then she yelped. And after that, she yelped every three seconds or so. I got a bowl of water and tried to put her face to it but she just plunged her face in the bowl without drinking. Then she started moving less and less and as I was holding her, her body went limp as though she had given up trying. She kept on yelping though. She eventually stopped moving altogether but her eyes were still open and she was still breathing. I held her until her eyes slowly closed and she stopped breathing. Why do you think she died? I think it might have been because she was too young to have been taken from her mother but I wanted to know if anyone else knows anything.
6689_1117641295630_1064910069_30312401_4756262_n.jpg

By the looks of her, she looks very little. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help you. Your probably right, she was too young to be taken from her mom.

Rest in peace little one :pink iris:

I see this is your first post. Welcome to RO....April

Edit: i would recommend that if you get a bunny again, to make sure it's 8 weeks old atleast.

it is very regretable that we do lose our little ones,,bloody poops is typical of straining,internal problems(gi and urinary tract)..you did not have her very long,,most likely was sick when purchased,unfortuately,we do not always think,,immediately to rush to the exotic dvm,we think of a check up usually within a couple weeks-though,.,i do not do well at these times all i can do is offer my condolences,and with no blood work,only speculate,,sincerely james waller:pray::cry1:

So sorry that you lost your bun. You can post in the Rainbow Bridge area.

You may want to contact a local rabbit savvy vet and get a necropsy (animals autopsy) done. They may be able to find out what happened. I don't know about the pricing or if there is a time limit, but if you really want to know what happened, it would be your best bet.

She does look very small and young. There is a chance that she was not properly weaned or ready to leave her mother.
If you do decided to get another rabbit, go to a good breeder or a rescue. Make sure the rabbit is at least 8 weeks old, if not older. The older a rabbit is when if leave the mother/breeder, the better the chances are it will be OK.

First, we are so sorry for your loss--it's always a trauma whether it's a new bunny or one you been with for years. Second, I agree with everyone that the little baby does look very young and may have been too young to be away from it's mother. Third and most important, if you get a bunny or think you might, make sure that the first thing you do is take it to a rabbit-savvy vet for a check-up. From what you said, we think there might have been an underlying health issue with the poor little one. Again, we are so sorry for your loss.

I just want to mention. So you know in the future. If that is the bunnies cage behind her. I believe I see carrots in it. Bunnies her age( bunnies weaned from their moms)should only have Alflafa based pellets and unlimited hay. Bunnies don't get Veggies til their 3 months old.

If I'm wrong and that's not her cage, Sorry.

So sorry for your loss, but I would seriously call the SPCA and try and save her littermates if its not too late. The bunny was FAR too young to be separated from its mother.

And you obviously received no instructions on rabbit care and I assume you weren't given the food she was used to eating? Babies have to be fed whatever their mothers were fed with a very gradual change to new food.

She may not have recognized the water bowl if she was used to a water bottle, although usually the opposite is more the norm -- people losing babies because they don't realize they don't know how to drink from a bottle.

Rabbits need experienced care almost immediately after showing signs of illness because they hide their illnesses for so long, by the time its apparent, they're usually very sick. An immediate vet visit would have been necessary and even then her prognosis would have been dicey.

At her age, chances are it was a gut imbalance and/or inflamation. She would have been in pain. Not your fault, but this little bunny suffered terribly thanks to an uninformed or uncaring breeder. :(

I'd report them and try and get your money back solely because it will be a lesson to whoever was selling her with so little regard for her welfare. :(

I'd also contact a rabbit rescue and try again with an older, healthier spayed or neutered bunny. Babies are fragile at best and they also go through a rather 'trying' hormonal phase and can change personalities quite drastically. With older spayed and neutered rabbits, you'll know about their behaviour, and you'll have a support system if you run into problems.

Again, so sorry.

sas :sad:

SweetSassy wrote:
I just want to mention. So you know in the future. If that is the bunnies cage behind her. I believe I see carrots in it. Bunnies her age( bunnies weaned from their moms)should only have Alflafa based pellets and unlimited hay. Bunnies don't get Veggies til their 3 months old.
Actually if rabbits aren't brought up on veggies this may be true, but babies do well if they're fedthe same diet as their mothers.

sas

I am so sorry about this happening to you.
I agree with the above posters...she seemed way too young to be separated from her mother.

I also offer my condolences. Losing one is always tough. I see this condition quite a bit in wild rabbit rescue. While the digestive systems of domestics and wild rabbits are idential in their workings, cottontails do wean a lot quicker and a lot more violently than domestics. The symptoms you describe are consistent with a major GI imbalance. As a baby rabbit starts to wean, the pH in the gut must convert from a somewhat neutral environment to a very acidic environment.....somewhere between a pH of 1-2. The mother's milk is critical in this conversion. That is why so many cottontails are lost in rehab. If the GI isn't acidic, the bacteria that is required for proper digestion can't survive. Since this bacteria not only digests food, it also controls the bad bacteria....harmful bacteria such as Clostridium and/or E Coli will grow rapidly. The rabbit will lose weight quickly, will get diarrhea (sometimes hard to see with a baby) with mucus and will quickly become lethargic as the toxins build. With such a young rabbit, there is little that can be done once this process starts. We are having a particularly difficult time with cottontails this year for some reason....and we are losing them in record numbers and in just the manner in which you described. We are going to do necropsies on "virgin" rabbits we lose (these are babies that have not encountered a cat or been fed improper formula). We suspect a nasty strain of harmful bacteria but time will tell.

I would like to comment on the carrots. While I do agree that carrots are not exactly health food....there is no reason that rabbits can't be weaned on greens. Remember that our domestics are from wild rabbits....and wild rabbits do not have pellets in the woods. Another misconception that lingers from the dark ages of rabbit husbandry. My cottontails (keep in mind their GI is identical to domestics with the exception of wean time) rarely get pellets. Only the ones here long term get high end pellets....and then it's only to provide proper supplements to allow for the lack of sunlight....andlack of sunlight (Vitamin D and Phosphorus)has a negative effect on the absorbing of calcium....and that is another myth....rabbits have bones and teeth and those need calcium. But rabbits can be properly weaned, if all things are in order, on greens only....pellets not required.

I suspect the loss of this rabbit was caused by a combination of stress and improper weaning from being too young that resulted in a condition known as Cecal Dysbiosis (among other names for the same condition). Most states, including this usually backward state of NC, require that rabbits be at least 8 weeks old before being offered for sale.

Randy

Actually to me this seems like a peanut being sold as a real rabbit. The fact that it was sold in the 'fashion district' is what clues me in.
Some breeders if peanuts survive to an age where they can be weaned off their mothers will be sold as 'designer' rabbits. These poor rabbits do not survive long anyway and are usually picked up quickly due to their diminutive size and are thought of as cute.
I think this is a possibility here, either that or it was too young.

ra7751 wrote:
I also offer my condolences.  Losing one is always tough.  I see this condition quite a bit in wild rabbit rescue.  While the digestive systems of domestics and wild rabbits are idential in their workings, cottontails do wean a lot quicker and a lot more violently than domestics.  The symptoms you describe are consistent with a major GI imbalance.  As a baby rabbit starts to wean, the pH in the gut must convert from a somewhat neutral environment to a very acidic environment.....somewhere between a pH of 1-2.  The mother's milk is critical in this conversion.  That is why so many cottontails are lost in rehab.  If the GI isn't acidic, the bacteria that is required for proper digestion can't survive.  Since this bacteria not only digests food, it also controls the bad bacteria....harmful bacteria such as Clostridium and/or E Coli will grow rapidly.  The rabbit will lose weight quickly, will get diarrhea (sometimes hard to see with a baby) with mucus and will quickly become lethargic as the toxins build.  With such a young rabbit, there is little that can be done once this process starts.  We are having a particularly difficult time with cottontails this year for some reason....and we are losing them in record numbers and in just the manner in which you described.  We are going to do necropsies on "virgin" rabbits we lose (these are babies that have not encountered a cat or been fed improper formula).  We suspect a nasty strain of harmful bacteria but time will tell.

I would like to comment on the carrots.  While I do agree that carrots are not exactly health food....there is no reason that rabbits can't be weaned on greens.  Remember that our domestics are from wild rabbits....and wild rabbits do not have pellets in the woods.  Another misconception that lingers from the dark ages of rabbit husbandry.  My cottontails (keep in mind their GI is identical to domestics with the exception of wean time) rarely get pellets.  Only the ones here long term get high end pellets....and then it's only to provide proper supplements to allow for the lack of sunlight....and lack of sunlight (Vitamin D and Phosphorus) has a negative effect on the absorbing of calcium....and that is another myth....rabbits have bones and teeth and those need calcium.  But rabbits can be properly weaned, if all things are in order, on greens only....pellets not required.

I suspect the loss of this rabbit was caused by a combination of stress and improper weaning from being too young that resulted in a condition known as Cecal Dysbiosis (among other names for the same condition).  Most states, including this usually backward state of NC, require that rabbits be at least 8 weeks old before being offered for sale. 

Randy

Awesome post, Randy. Agree re: the carrot/veggie and calcium misconceptions.

Saudade wrote:
Actually to me this seems like a peanut being sold as a real rabbit.

Nope, not a peanut, they have pretty distinctive oddities.

sas

Pipp wrote:
SweetSassy wrote:
Actually if rabbits aren't brought up on veggies this may be true, but babies do well if they're fedthe same diet as their mothers.

sas
Thank you for the information :) I didn't know that.

I am so sorry. This sounds like a situation in which a bunny that was too young to be separated from its mom was sold to you, and you didn't know any better. In most places, it is illegal to sell rabbits under 8 weeks. Early weaning probably led to her digestive upset that caused her death. It would have taken extremely heroic efforts by very good vets to save her in that situation. How tragic for the bunny and for you. I'm so sorry that you got "had" by a disreputable animal seller. If you see them again, you should report them to animal control. In the future, it would also be best to look for a bunny at a rescue, because they are healthy, need a new home, and will already be spayed/neutered (which is expensive and necessary for most house rabbits). Again, I'm so sorry.

thanks to everyone who replied. i'm still really sad about it, i plan to call animal control to see if there's anything they can do about people selling rabbits too young, but i suspect that they must already know about it since it's a commonplace thing in LA for people to sell baby rabbits like that. i just wish that the poor rabbit didn't have to suffer so much, it was really heartbreaking.

Yeah I agree with the above posts. From the pic, this little rabbit looks about 2 weeks old, which is way too young to be away from its mother.

I am so sorry for your loss!

Welcome to RO. There is great information here.

I am so sorry about your precious little bunny! I cried when I read your story... I see little bunnies like that sold at pet stores and they don't even have any hay. The people who work there don't have a clue about how to care for a bunny. There was a little bunny at my (bunny) vet's office that had been brought in from a pet store because their vet (who also knew nothing about bunnies) had given it the one antibiotic you are supposed to NEVER give to bunnies (I don't remember what it was...), and when I went in the next day, it had died. Did I mention that the group I volunteer for (Gainesville Rabbit Rescue) boycotts that store because they sell bunnies and don't know enough to educate the people who buy these very unhealthy babies. I'm very sorry this happened to you... I know how hard this is because I just lost my precious bunny too... be nice to yourself... hugs...

I have heard about the "Fasion District" bunnies, they are sold there shortly after their eyes open, it is very likely this little one was barly 3 weeks old.

I am sorry for your loss and hope that you can find a new bunny who is old enough to leave Mom, 8 weeks, and can live a nice long healthy life with you :)

Latest posts

Back