My Bunny Broke Off Her Bottom Tooth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarly

Reaction score
252881CA-4EC5-4767-A115-F681F4C8B0E2.jpeg 9B0C1E7C-48C2-4FA1-9583-5851342E1AAE.jpeg This morning my 6 month old bunny, Thumper, broke one of her bottom teeth off. She jumped from the couch onto the floor (did not hit her face) and it just fell out of her mouth mid jump. So I assume it was cracked before. She’s eating and drinking fine and doesn’t seem to be in pain, she’s cuddly, zooming around and binkieing like always. I left a voicemail for our vet but it says the clinic is closed due to family emergency this week. Should I find another vet or is it not urgent because she’s acting/eating as usual?
There is still part of the tooth, and there is no blood or roots in the tooth that broke off so assume there isn’t any root damage (I hope) wondering is she’ll have tooth decay or something like that because of this
Any experience in this?

I would think that if she was eating and drinking fine, and showing no signs of distress or excessive pain, then I wouldn't consider it an emergency and would just make sure to get into my vet asap. The important thing is making sure the incisors and peg teeth continue to wear evenly as the tooth grows back in. Also making sure the cracked tooth doesn't develop an infection below the surface. So your vet may want to file the tooth even and remove any sharp points, and may also possibly put your bun on an antibiotic like baytril, as well as meloxicam if there are any signs of pain/discomfort or inflammation.

Like @JBun said the main things would be that it might be cracked all the way up to the root, which they wouldn’t know without X-ray, and that the opposite incisor might overgrow if it has nothing to grind on.
But it shouldn’t be an emergency if she isn’t in pain and will be easy enough to manage :)

Latest posts

Back