My bun is hurting herself with overenthusiastic eating!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liung

Reaction score
My Holland Lop, Delilah, is a generally enthusiastic rabbit. Everything is excitement! and enthusiasm! and faster!

That includes her food and water. When she's thirsty, she'll drink her water so fast it goes up her nose and she starts sneezing violently. I've seen my other rabbits do it too, but only when they were absolutely parched because they'd had no water for a while for whatever reason. Delilah sometimes drinks that fast just normally. She has a water bottle, and once I tried to give her a water bowl but she preferred the bottle. Also, the bowl quickly became dirty and full of fur and spilled. A bowl is just not practical for her. I have to use a heavy ceramic bowl for her food as it is, and she still will dig in it, spraying food everywhere, and pushing it all around her enclosure. That's just the kind of bun she is.

Most worrying is her food. She does, of course, have free access to hay, but she always always acts as if I starve her when it's dinner time. She loves her food. The moment it's within her reach she starts wolfing it down. Already worrying considering how a rabbit's digestive system works, but last night she actually started choking. All I could do was rub her back as she choked and coughed on whatever food she'd swallowed too fast. The moment she was better she resumed eating, with little coughs between bites. And rabbits can't vomit! If something goes more wrong than that she'll literally kill herself from loving her food to much!

Horses also have a tendency to gulp down their food, and many owners have found that giving their horse free access to their food solves the problem. Once the horses get used to it, they eat only as much as they need and are generally healthier for it. When I tried this with Delilah, (gradually of course) all that happened was she began eating through a shocking amount of food, gained tons of weight, and made a terrific mess while eating only the parts of the food that were her favourite. Not only that, but she stopped eating hay entirely. Her tendency to wolf her food down was gone, but the drawbacks weren't worth it. When I realized she'd stopped eating hay I knew it was time to go back to "less is more". She now eats plenty of hay, but as I said, last night she ate so fast she started choking.

The food I feed my rabbits is a rabbit mix called Cuni Nature, made by Versele-Laga. They adore it. It's their favourite food, and they want no other. Because of how expensive it is, I've tried a couple times to switch to pellets. They actually go on a hunger strike. If pellets are slowly mixed into the food, they just refused to eat them, or scattered them everywhere, or on one memorable occasion ate the mix, left the pellets, then pooped in the bowl. If I just give them a bowl of pellets they just won't eat at all.

Recently I read something that said mixes are actually rather unhealthy for them, and that pellets are ideal, so I might try again to switch them... But good god my buns are the biggest food snobs I have ever met.

So, keeping in mind that if I just change the food my problem will go from eating too fast to not eating at all, and that forcing her to slow down by hand feeding her one piece at a time is not really practical on a day-to-day basis... any suggestions?

(On a happier note, she loves food so much that training her is ridiculously easy. When she had a cage and her crowding and biting my hand when placing her food was a problem, I quickly taught her that I would only give her the food if she went into her box first. Getting her to climb into my lap took only a few tries before she got it. Now I'm teaching her to jump onto my lap on command. My other bun is a bit more cynical--he knows how to be patient. He doesn't need to put in effort. I'll give him the food eventually.)

IMG_00000205.jpg

Pellets are definitely the best thing to have your rabbits eat. They are specifically made to maintain your rabbits health. I got a new rabbit about 3 weeks ago and started off by mixing some of his food with some of mine. It has taken a bit of time and patience but he is finally eating his food. As long as your cute bunny is still eating her hay, she will eventually start to eat what she has and be better off for it. She may always be a fast eater but its better for her to eat whats healthier.

Good luck!

What about putting her food in one of those toy balls that releases them slowly as the bun rolls it around?

You could try scattering her food on the floor so that it will make it much harder to just wolf it down. And I agree that slowly switching over to pellets would be the best thing. And don't refill til the pellets are gone. If she won't eat them right away, I would bet eventually she will. A few days only eating hay, won't hurt anything. But do keep an eye on her to make sure she is at least eating hay. You don't want her developing GI stasis by not eating.

With choking episodes there is a risk of aspiration pneumonia, so it would be a good idea to get your rabbit checked by your vet, if you have a vet experienced with rabbits where you are located.

For future reference, here is some information on trying to clear a rabbits airway when it is choking.
http://www.hrsmostl.org/Education-page-2.html

Has she seen a vet to rule out any respiratory issues?

A plain pellet is typically your best bet as they are nutritionally balanced and the buns can't pick around the healthy parts and only eat the tasty parts which often becomes an issue with those mixes.
My buns get some of their pellets in their bowl but the rest they get from me as treats throughout the day for doing their various bunny tricks (working on up, come, and just for climbing in my lap for a snuggle). If she's that food motivated I would consider training her to do some fun stuff.

Our buns get very little pellet. Our biggest was getting a poopy butt all the time and when I took her to the vet he said' "Rabbits don't need any pellets in their diet, they only need hay without limit and fresh veggies". No more poopy butt and she's lost 2 pounds--she only weighs 19 pounds 7 ounces now.

if you raise her feeder so she needs to sit up to eat, she'll slow down and not waste as much.

feeds that are pellets and grains only encourage waste as they like to eat the "Candy" (grains etc) first before eating their meat and potatoes (the pellets).

Separating out their food from their extras is always a good idea to prevent waste and promote healthy eating.

Latest posts

Back