my bun is getting his man bits removed in 5 hours.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tutter

Reaction score
how long after my bun has been 'done' can i re-introduce him to his wifebun?
when i do this, will they have to be bonded slowly again or will they be ok with each other?
am i best off moving his cage into my bedroom when he comes home from his op for a few days? he lives in our outhouse in his cage with rosie his wifebun in the same outhouse but in a seperate cage with their babies. i was thinking maybe i should move him in my room for a bit so he has calm and quiet 100 percent. and would i be best to let him lay on my bed with a blanket or in his cage?

also just before the op i am picking up his carrier from my bfs as we do not have it here. so how will i be able to take him to my bfs (10 mins down the road in car) without his carrier to pick it up?

ty you guys please post asap as time is running out

If they're currently bonded and living in the same cage, you want them together as soon as possible so as not to break the bond. If they've already been separated for a while, and/or if she is not spayed, you want to keep them apart for at least 6-8 weeks while his hormones die down and to ensure there is no more viable sperm (yes, even after a neuter, a buck can impregnate a doe, you have to wait.) If they've been separated you will probably have to bond them slowly, but that all depends on the rabbits in question.

If he's bonded with his wifebun (cute, btw!) put him back together with her when you get home, but cautiously. She could either react upset because of the other smells, but more likely she'll take care of him. He'll be able to move around, you just need to confine him to a small area, like, 4x4sq ft, and make sure theres nothing to jump on/to. Also make sure they send you home with pain meds :)

As for the carrier, I put both bunnies in a cardboard box with hay when I take them to the vet. Its not fancy but it does the trick. I'd suggest doing the same, but bring the carrier and leave it at the vet with him, they can do the swap later.

ETA Oh I forgot about if she's not spayed! I second the above post :D

they have been seperated now for nearly 2 weeks. they were together 2 months or so before seperation (i thought maisy was a female hence the name and hence the fact we now have 7 baby rabbits which is why he's getting the snip!)so mum (rosie) is with her baby buns in her cage so i couldn't put him back with her yet even if i wanted to, and no rosie is not spayed either.

thanks for the advice hun

OneTwoThree wrote:
If he's bonded with his wifebun (cute, btw!) put him back together with her when you get home, but cautiously. She could either react upset because of the other smells, but more likely she'll take care of him. He'll be able to move around, you just need to confine him to a small area, like, 4x4sq ft, and make sure theres nothing to jump on/to. Also make sure they send you home with pain meds :)

As for the carrier, I put both bunnies in a cardboard box with hay when I take them to the vet. Its not fancy but it does the trick. I'd suggest doing the same, but bring the carrier and leave it at the vet with him, they can do the swap later.

ETA Oh I forgot about if she's not spayed! I second the above post :D

he normally sleeps in his cage at night until around 10-11am and has free run of the living room and kitchen all day until around 7pm so would you suggest keeping him in his cage and not letting him out to play for a day or two?

Then I vote bring him inside to your room for a few days, it'll be better to be able to keep watch on him, make sure he eats and poops right, and keep him clean.

OneTwoThree wrote:
Then I vote bring him inside to your room for a few days, it'll be better to be able to keep watch on him, make sure he eats and poops right, and keep him clean.

thanks a lot for your advice!!! god i need something to calm my nerves (it doesn't help that it is 4am here and i have not slept!) :pray:

Oops missed your post. Can you pen him off in a smaller area, but larger than a cage? He might be pissed if you leave him in his cage heh, I was lucky to leave Lady in her pen for 5 days after her spay and then she was threatening to jump the cage :p

OneTwoThree wrote:
Oops missed your post. Can you pen him off in a smaller area, but larger than a cage? He might be p*ssed if you leave him in his cage heh, I was lucky to leave Lady in her pen for 5 days after her spay and then she was threatening to jump the cage :p
i don't really have anything i could use as a sort of barrier/run style thing. i could keep him in my bedroom and he could run around here.. but he always jumps up and down on the bed so it might make him too active. but i suppose i could let him run around my room during the day then cage at night?

btw you're right he'd be more than pissed at me if i kept him in his cage all day rofl he already stomps as soon as he hears me or my mum coming to pick him up in the morning, he is so impatient and demanding. love him for it though :)

Haha I love Lady for it too. Shes so bossy. Samson will wait and give me evil looks, but Lady will try to pick up the whole darn pen and scoot it across the room hah. For the first day if possible keep him in the cage, he might be ok with that anyway. Then maybe just let him out in a couple hour breaks so he doesn't over-exert himself? I'm not sure how much down time boys need, its much less invasive :D

When you finally put them back together again in 6-8 weeks, you might first give each one something that has the other's scent on it, to make the smell familiar again. You might want to do this a couple times, starting several days before they reunite. And if the initial reunion can be in a neutral place, that'd probably be a good idea.

OneTwoThree wrote:
Haha I love Lady for it too. Shes so bossy. Samson will wait and give me evil looks, but Lady will try to pick up the whole darn pen and scoot it across the room hah. For the first day if possible keep him in the cage, he might be ok with that anyway. Then maybe just let him out in a couple hour breaks so he doesn't over-exert himself? I'm not sure how much down time boys need, its much less invasive :D

well whenever we go to put maisy in his cage he bites our arm and then literally leaps out of our hands as soon as we put him above his cage to put him in!!. then when i put his food and water in he runs at me, growls and stomps! haha he is such a little unique moody thing! but then sometimes he is the most loving little bun ever. he lets me rub his tum when he's on his back, he lets me lay with my head on him, he lets me groom his cheeks and ears until he's had enough of course and instead of just moving out of the way like a normal bunny he bites to let us know he's had enough grooms :rollseyes

yet rosie is really placid but nervous too :( she hates being picked up and doesn't like being stroked either when she's out of her cage. when she's in her cage she allows strokes she must feel safe in her little cage :biggrin:

LakeCondo wrote:
When you finally put them back together again in 6-8 weeks, you might first give each one something that has the other's scent on it, to make the smell familiar again. You might want to do this a couple times, starting several days before they reunite. And if the initial reunion can be in a neutral place, that'd probably be a good idea.

that is a great idea! thanks so much :) i think i may keep them in their own seperate cages even when reuinted as they both love their cages and are very territorial over their own space :)

The vet said if the bunny hasn't eaten a thing in 12 hours keep a very close eye, and its a sign for some alarm. They said 24 hours is considered an emergency [to get more food into the bunny].

Latest posts

Back