My bun hates people?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantaysah

Reaction score
So some of you know that salt passed away and now we have sugar. He/she has warmed up tp pepper just fine they cozy up to each other etc no problem but pepper runs to greet you, insists that pick her up and love her she will even struggle to get out if you just walk past... she loves attention. Sugar on the other hand wants nothing to do with people... will not accept treats etc. i don't even have to go near the cage she just has to see a human and will run and hide/shaking etc. is there a possibility she will never acclimate to being a house bun? what are your suggestions to make her less fearful of people? Anyone ever have a bn that just didnt want to be a pet? all suggestions are great thanks

Hi
1. Be patient
2. sounds like a person has freaked her out so it will take some time for the bunny to trust you.
3. spend time just sitting quietly with the bunny but not expecting anything from the bunny, let the bunny come to you
4. talk quietly around the bunny and move slowly as well
5. time is the greatest healer
6. check bunnies diet, not all bunnies like the same treats. I have a bunny that doesn't like banana but Jones bunny is so funny when he can smell banana he get so excited it's like he thinks he can walk upright like a person and he begs for it
7. could the bunny be unwell? they don't show you when they are sick to hide it from predators
Good Luck with Sugar :pray::big wink:

Just to echo the other posts I've heard patience is the key with buns and some rabbits take a loooong time to get settled. Some are fine in a day or two. Some take months.

Be patience and best of luck :)

Not had her long. Not sick as we saw a vet 2 days ago. Just wanted to know whether it was a possibility that i would never get him to be friendly. I know a lot about dogs and i have seen dogs even after years who just can't be a house dog ... they prefer to be outside with no human interaction. Just wandering if anyone had had that happen. Don't want to get my hopes too high. Pepper goes and sits close to sugar but sugar just sits there no grooming etc. And sugar destroys the cage dumps all the food out and knocks everything over how can i break her from that?

I think she will come around if you just give her time and gentle attention :) As for the messiness, my only suggestion is to make it so she can't toss things around the cage that you don't want her to toss. Bunnies love doing that and I don't really think you can train it out of her. Get food and water bowls that screw on to the side of the cage, or get REALLY heavy ceramic ones that she can't move. If the cage is multilevel and you go the ceramic route, put the bowls on the bottom floor so she can't toss them down. Mine love doing that! Just make sure she has some things she can throw around :) Good luck!

Thanks for the input. Pepper seems out of place lol she's a tidy bun and the cage is a disaster! Also i have noticed that sugar leans against pepper punishing her to the side of the cage when resting is this harmful? Will she move if it hurts?

Hi
Are the two bunnies together in one cage? maybe sugar is just expressing her self about it being her space and they may need to be separated. not all bunnies like each other

:big wink:

it doesn't seem like shes doing it to be mean, more like snuggling but sugar is bigger and the weight against her is what i was worried about. they seem to like each other well she interacts (hops around etc) with her when she thinks no one is around.

she just needs some trust even if she doesnt except treats give them to her and leave them with her. just sit and talk to her calmy and slowly as she gains your trust she will become more accustomed to u and you can stroke her gently. so basically be calm and gentle and interact with her every day. also it might be an idea to have a set person to look after her when you go away so he/she can do the same thing hope this helps xx

Well she still won't take treats and she won't even eat them if i leave them... i don't think she recognizes them as food. I put her on top of my belly and let go and she didn't run which was a nice sunrise. She smelled my face and just sat there. And she didn't mid her meds today so that is also a nice suprise. Pepper flies across the hardwood floors like superman but sugar wouldn't come out from under the couch although she WAS NOT PARALYZED WITH FEAR and did move around d under there.. small steps but happy ones.. i think they were being handled too roughly by Mr breeder and thus terrified of people but im working on it!

time and patience. you'll eventually get her where you want her to be. just be easy and never show her anger!

When I first got BunBun(RIP) he was just like that. He was sooo scared and timid and wanted nothing to do with any of us! What i did was let him run around my room with me just sitting on the floor. day in and day out. i would read a book or watch tv, or do homework (i was like 16 at the time lol) but everything was done on the floor. I NEVER tried to catch him, just let him do his thing. Always left his cage door open and let him decide when he wanted to come out.. It took me about 3 or 4 months before he was even interested in sniffing me! After that, it was smoooth sailing. Takes time and a lot of patience! Good luck!

i have a rabbit that doesnt eat any treats put in his cage so i tryed putting it in his bowl and boom he was scoffing it down. i guess they associate their bowl with food and nothing else try it, it worked a miracle for me!!

Latest posts

Back