My bun digging through her food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmerre

Reaction score
1 year old lionhead female.

When I first got her I gave her the fancy food with all the extras until she was making a mess and throwing it all around her cage to only eat the good stuff so now she gets straight pellets.

For about the last week or so she's been throwing most of her food out of the dispenser, all over her cage. I keep scooping it up and putting it back in the food dispenser, but she keeps digging through it and throwing it back out.

She's always been a digger, ripping up my carpet, and has always been quite destructive but hasn't dug through her food in a long time. I actually just posted a new thread about her ripping up my carpet. I'm just not sure if maybe the food is stale? I only buy a few pounds at a time and keep it in a sealed tupperware container. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Kim

We have three lionheads right now...
Ours go through phases where they will good and angry over something we have done...and by the sounds of it...taking awayyour girlstreat bits and giving her just plain old food...is ticking your bunn off! :biggrin:

Remember...lionheads think they are royalty...do what we do! Bow, scrape and kiss butt!:biggrin2:

We had to buy a food dish that we could attach totheir cage at chin level to keep our bonded pair from wreaking havoc on their food dish (apparently we don't feed themenough and they shouldn't have to share the bowl with each other). It helped alot with the mess!

As for the bed...I would invest in NICs and just block it off.
If she has found a good hidey spot she will keep customizing it to her satisfaction...the fact that it annoys you is just a bonus for her!;)

Danielle:)

You could allwayse use an attaching croc bowl, or a gravity bin feeder. And if she realy dislikes her food that mutch be sure to include fresh hay, oats, and sometimes fresh grasses to enthuse him/her.

She has a gravity bin feeder now. I don't think she dislikes her food because she eats it. I just wasn't sure why she was all of a sudden digging in it. She gets hay, veggies, and herbs on a daily basis. But for the past two days she hasn't done it so maybe it was just a temper tantrum!!! :p

i was just going to post about this! my lionhead does the same thing! except he digs for the little carrot looking pellets to eat first and dumps ALL of the plain ones out to do it. i slowly changed my rabbits to a different food bc they did not like what they had before. maybe i will haev to change again?

my mini rex is not as destructive and is A LOT less picky but will do the same thing sometimes. i think i'll try that twist and lock crock like someone mentioned bc he had a gravity bin feeder before when he started doing it. im trying out just a heavy ceramic bowl but doesn't seem to be doing the trick either...

Latest posts

Back