My blood is boiling right now!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezeta

Reaction score
Grrrr so annoyed right now! I work in a vets as a receptionist and I took a call from a lady wanting to make an appointmenton Friday for her rabbit. Asked what the rabbit is coming in for and she said it hasn't been eating for three days and its teeth are really over grown. Advised her to bring the rabbit down straight away and not to leave ituntil Friday. I was on the phone to her for over30 mins and managed to pursuade her to bring it down but she will only come down this afternoon as she wants to watch a film!!!!

The rabbit is coming down at 5:20, I am at home at the moment but I go back at 4:30 so will see this lady when she brings him in. She also admitted to me that she never lets the rabbit out the hutch and never really see's it just chucks some food in a bowl! I scrolled the notes of when she last came to see us which was in 2005 the rabbit has had on going dental problems and regulary was having teeth clipped back then,it also says she brought the rabbit in and it was filthy and was cacked in its own poo it also had sore skin and patches of fur missing, had mitesand that the owner did not notice!!!

I have told the vet about it all I'm hoping she will suggest taking it off her so we can re-home him. Poor little guy I'm not looking forward to this afternoon :bigtears:

People are so stupid. Maybe she will do the right thing and give the poor baby over to you guys so it can find a home that it deserves.

Geeze, I think this is why I could never work in a vet's office. Thats so heartbreaking.

I hope you guys are able to persuade her to take him off her hands- or for her to improve his living conditions. Poor dear.

Hope the rabbit is OK and hugs to you.

MsBinky wrote:
Can a humane society not seize the bun?
I highly doubt they can. In england the RSPCA etc can't always take an animal if it has "adequate" food, light and water. :( They can however give a warning that if the rabbit isnt cared for properly and sorted out in X amount of time that they will take it away. I don't know, but from what I have seen of them (have had an experience of a rescue and we rescue small animals from time to time) and reading through the RSPCA rescue procedure (blah blah blah) thats the way it is.

Oh Amy, that's horrible! I'm not surprised you're upset- I am just reading it :(

What did the vet say? Sounds like this woman needs a good whack over the head and a talking to about how to care for animals properly- if I was you I'd have to be held back or something when she bought the rabbit in! Then again, that wouldn't solve anything...

I'm not sure if I'm right on this or not, but the RSPCA bought in a new law in March 2007 (it's on their website here http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/RSPCARedirect&pg=animalwelfareactadvice) that means that owners are obliged to care for their pet, by:

Providing a proper diet, including fresh water

Providing somewhere suitable to live

Providing any need to be house with or apart from any animals

Providing the ability to express normal behaviour (so for a rabbit that would cover exercise out of the hutch I presume?!)

Providing protection from and treatmen of illnes and injury (so if the rabbit's teeth are overgrown and need regular trimming she should have a responsibility to get that done, plus treatment for mites and be kept clean to prevent flystrike or other illnesses!)

Soooo.... like I said, not sure what is covered or not here, and what is correct and what isn't, but maybe it's worth talking to the vet to see if a call should be made to the RSPCA?

Or, like you said, convince her to let you guys help to rehome him!

Good luck, you'll be a stronger person than me facing this woman! Let us know how it goes!

:hug:

I don't know what I am going to do when this woman comes in, I can't believe how awful some people are. This morning I also got a call from a woman wanting some advice because he dog was walking into things being sick and struggling to walk! I told her to get down to the vets asap, she said she will only see Eric (one of our vets) explained he is on holiday until next Tues. She said she would bring him next Tuesday!!! Told her if she waited that long she might not have a dog to bring down! to which she replied "well if that happens I will let you know so you can ammend his record to deceased because he is only going to see Eric"

Will let you know how I get on with the lady and the rabbit, won't get home until 8:30ish, thought I would give the RSPCA a ring if they can't take the rabbit off her but only thing I am concerned about is that they are full with rabbits and I have been told that they will put them to sleep if they have no room.

Oh I don't know what to do MAJOR STRESSYNESS GOING ON! I will see what the vet says and does and take it from there. Huh well better get back.

Speak to you all later xxx ps thanks for the replies

I think I would have to turn that woman in to the authorities.

oh gosh how horrible, hopefully the vet will talk to her and convince her to give the rabbit up, before it suffers and dies.

Oh gosh, same goes for that woman and her dog too. Your animal is sick, you get it tothe vet ASAP. End of. Sure, if you have a vet you prefer to see, and it's not urgent and can wait a while, that's fine, but not if your animal is seriously ill. I have to seriously doubt my faith in the human race at times!!

I don't know what the RSPCA's policy is on animals and whether they put them down or not though.... Butsurely that woman can't be allowed to keepa rabbit in that condition andnot bother to get him proper care! It'sawful!:?

Please let us know what happened when you can- gonna be a long wait! :(

Thats horrible Mezeta. Muse cha;k is right though the new laws came into effect last year. I know Bruce (my husband) has seen a lot of bad cases of neglect when he works in peoples houses and he has threatened them that he would take the rabbit and report them if they didnt have it sorted by the time he came back (usually 3 days) when he went back it was spotless (before the hutch was actually growing the hay!!)

polly wrote:
Thats horrible Mezeta. Muse cha;k is right though the new laws came into effect last year. I know Bruce (my husband) has seen a lot of bad cases of neglect when he works in peoples houses and he has threatened them that he would take the rabbit and report them if they didnt have it sorted by the time he came back (usually 3 days) when he went back it was spotless (before the hutch was actually growing the hay!!)
That's good Polly- that people actually listen and take the threats seriously. Is your husband an RSPCA inspector?

Ok guys here's the news and its GOOD NEWS!!!!

Was really bizare a lady came in was well dressed, really pleasant had her dog with her and I was talking to her for a while she was really nice and happily chatting telling me about her dog. I asked what the dogs name was so I could book them in and she said "oh no it's not for him it's for this lil sh*t Thumper" to which she provided a shoe box with the rabbit in!! Two small air holes!! I took her aside and explained to her if she didn't want the rabbit we would take it and re-home it. She agreed and just walked out.

The rabbit is called Thumper he is very skinny I can feel it's bones, it hasn't eaten in two weeks!! it was cramped up in a small box, hardly moving and felt cold to the touch. Its eyes look really sad it was heart breaking. we syringe fed it and then when the vet arrived she had a look at him bured down the teeth. Ten mins later he was eating away, hopping around in a large dog kenel with blankets etc and grooming himsef. He is gorgeous and wwe need to find a home for him now but already he seems so much happier.

My only problem is...I think I have fallen in love with him!!! OMG I don't know what to do agghhhh I can't have another rabbit...Can I?!? Either way whatever happens he is going to have a good home now he is away from that "witch"and that makes me sooo happy :biggrin2:

Poor baby Thumper! I'm glad he's away from the mean lady now. I wonder why she decided to finally bring him in to the vet? And I think you CAN have another bunny! If you have the time, space, money and love, I don't see why not. He needs you. Think how nice it would be for him if he spends a few days at the vet office getting better while you set up his new home, then he goes home with you forever! No foster home, no animal shelter, just a place where he'll be loved and cared for forever :)

I think you need another bunny :biggrin2:

People are awful sometimes. I am so glad she surrendered the bun. I can't stand these kind of people. The ones that use animals just for show and discard ones that are not to their liking.

My blood was boiling this morning when I got an email from a woman asking if I had any *Easter* bunnies for sale - she contacted a sanctuary for rabbits, and asked if she could buy a lop earred Easter bunny? People just don't get it.

But I really do think you need another bunny :)

Aww poor little guy,it's just so cruel how some animals have to live....but i'm just happy as ever for him now...he deserves the good things now :D

Cheryl

Well......If you guys think I need another. I guess I need another. In all honesty I would take him straight away but I have someone's arm I have to twist tonight, but thats ok because I made him a nice meal and I have got him a nice cold beer from the fridge, I am letting him watch Property Developing programes and not moaned once. I will go get the cheesecake I got out of the fridge in a little while too hehe.

I'm off work tomorrow unfortunatly but will ring them tomorrow and see how he is doing and what the vet says. He is gorgeous though, can't beleive I didn't think to take a photo to show you.

Can't believe you had people asking for easter bunnies Grrr. I just can't understand some people. Will let you know what happens tomorrow,whether Phil says yes, if the vet says yes and if I am going to be a bunny mummy for the third time. I can't believe only been at the vets a month and maybe taking a bunny home already eeks :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back