My Beloved Balding Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infiniti

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So here's my story. I have two lops, a male and female. They're both neutered/spayed, and have been bonded since April of '07. They are BEST pals, except in one area. Dubby (the female) is a very dominant girl, and has exhibited mounting behaviors since the very beginning. But she's been so agressive lately, that she's pulling out Max's hair on his shoulders and back. She's been known to pull out little tufts in the past, but has started pulling out clumps in the last few days.

Whenever I read about mounting, it always says that it is normal if some hair gets pulled out. My vet agrees, and says that it's part of dominance. But honestly, Max is BALD in patches now, and I can't help but feel sorry for him! Especially since it seems like he's getting annoyed with Dubby when she's mounting him. But when I separate them, they seem mildly distressed.

Should I just let it be? I know fur grows back, but my poor boy looks like Edward Scissorhands took a bad-tempered whack at him. :dude: Any advice on trying to curb the hair pulling?

Thanks for indulging an overly worried bunny mom!

Poor baby!

I wonder why other than she might be showing nesting behavior for some odd reason.

My mom once had a doe that literally took HUGE amounts of her buck's fur (his cage was next to hers) when she built her nest.

Poor boy! Though your mom's buns do remind me of Dubby and Max. They have a vet visit coming up in two weeks, so I suppose I could ask the vet then. I wonder what he's going to say when I bring in a bald Max!

I'm trying to figure out whether I'm worrying over it too much. His baldness doesn't seem to bother him, so I can't help but wonder if I'm anthropormizing the situation.

Hiya,

Is she only pulling the fur out when she's mounting him or does she pluck it out at other times too?

Are you certain they were both neutered (did you get it done or did you get her from someone who told you it was done)?

Providing him somewhere to escape may help when he's getting annoyed. A tunnel or low shelter that she can't fit under e.g. a plastic child's stool.

Tamsin

Only when she's mounting him. And thanks for your suggestion about adding hiding places. I picked up a couple extra cardboard boxes when I went to Sam's Club, and the inclusion of those into their home has helped give them both space.

And unfortunately, I cannot be positive that they were both spayed/neutered, I suppose. I am not the original owner of either bun, but I was told that they both were fixed. I never really thought to ask their vet about it on previous visits. Perhaps I'll inquire at Max's visit in two weeks.

Latest posts

Back