My Baby is Getting spayed soon and I have some questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayzi

Reaction score
1. Is it okay if her mate doesn't go to the vet with her? I called them and they said they've had a lot of bunnies who had mates get neutered there alone and had no problem between the bunnies afterward. They keep her over night for 1 night.

2. They are charging us 20 extra dollars for some sort of laser thing to help her heal quicker. Has anyone heard of this? How well has it worked?

3. Do I separate her from her mate during the healing process? I don't want to ruin her bond and I feel it might even help her to have him there?

4. How should I care for her afterward? Just put her in a cage and wait for her to heal? If she has a cone on do I keep it on? (her mate had a cone after his neuter but I'm not sure if he really needed it) and I see a lot of pictures of people after the neuters cuddling with their bunnies on their lap and such with no cones.
(usually they have their 2 cages opened and free run of the spare room) She never liked to be confined to her cage

any info is appreciated!!

these are my babies
10570173_1654717594752226_532205777_n.jpg

Sorry I have no information but just wanted to say - what cute babies you have!!! :)

1. Is it okay if her mate doesn't go to the vet with her? I called them and they said they've had a lot of bunnies who had mates get neutered there alone and had no problem between the bunnies afterward. They keep her over night for 1 night.
When my mini lop was spayed, her mate didn't go to the vet with her. We dropped her off in the morning and picked her up in the afternoon. There didn't seem to be any adverse reactions from her mate.

2. They are charging us 20 extra dollars for some sort of laser thing to help her heal quicker. Has anyone heard of this? How well has it worked?
I've not heard anything about this, sorry!

3. Do I separate her from her mate during the healing process? I don't want to ruin her bond and I feel it might even help her to have him there?
While she was healing, I had my mini lop set up in a smaller, raised cage to limit her movement. They both seemed a bit upset, so I set up a ramp for my dwarf to visit her. He spent a lot of time grooming her while she was healing, and they both seemed to benefit from it.

4. How should I care for her afterward? Just put her in a cage and wait for her to heal? If she has a cone on do I keep it on? (her mate had a cone after his neuter but I'm not sure if he really needed it) and I see a lot of pictures of people after the neuters cuddling with their bunnies on their lap and such with no cones.
(usually they have their 2 cages opened and free run of the spare room) She never liked to be confined to her cage
Like I said, my lop was confined to a smaller cage for healing, however that didn't stop her from making some escape attempts. ;) On her first day home she actually got out and did some running, which scared the heck out of me! :duck: Thankfully, she didn't hurt her stitches! I also gave her a much smaller litter box that she wouldn't need to jump in and out of while healing. She didn't have a cone and didn't seem to need one.

Best of luck with the spay!

As far as the laser therapy it is known to help speed up healing. If they are just doing the laser once or twice it may not make a difference but more than that can definitely speed up the process.

As far as a cone it just depends on the rabbit just the same way as it does with dogs and cats. If they mess with the site then the cone needs to stay on. I kept my boy with his cone on while I wasn't supervising in the beginning and took it off after a day or so while I watched to make sure he didn't mess with it. He did fine so I left it off the remainder of his healing

Back