My Baby has knot on his head - UGH

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchster

Reaction score
My wonderful little bunny Bert (Rescue bunny - probably adwarf mix - probably a couple of years old and fixed)has had an issue with some scrapes he has been getting on his noggin. I haven't been able to figure out how in the heck this is happening, but something somewhere doesn't agree with my baby's head. Now these wounds aren't like a simple scratch to the head, you know a line from point A to point B. But something like you would get on your knee if you fell down.

After he got the first one, of course I noticed the bald spot and then the wound, I took him to the vet and she said everything was healing OK and in a few weeks his hair would grow back.

After the hair started growing back, he got another one near the first one. I watched it carefully. I put a little neosporin on it because I am a worrier. It too seemed to heal just fine.

Then he got another one. All over the space of a couple of months. I have NO idea what he is headbutting in his cage...but I wish he would STOP. Anyway, now I am worried that he might be getting an abcess (sp?). It is on the top of his head close to his eye. There appears to be a little bump there. I'm not sure if it just a part of his eye, or something else. If it is something, it is tiny.

Either way, he goes to the vet tomorrow! I am taking NO chances. Please god let it be nothing. I have done some reading on the various forums and the thought of treating an abcess is scarey - ME giving my tiny precious Bert injections, are u NUTS?

Needles are not my friend.

He is still eating and running around being a bunny, but I worry.

Did the vet look for fur mites? If it's just a raw area without fur, it may be fur mites, scabies, mange, something of that sort. The vet can do a skin scraping and look at it under a microscope to see if there are parasites there.

If he has a raised bump that could be an abscess, sorry to say. It may also be an abscess due to infected tooth roots--they sometimes can grow quite close to the eye and cause problems near the eye. A dental x-ray might be useful to determine this.

Thanks for the info. I will chat with my vet. I have an appointment tomorrow. I don't mess with my babies health.

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way... and a few nosey-rubs to Bert!

:pray:

Good to hear! Hope it goes well at the vet!

P.s. Have I mentioned before that I love the name Petunia? I have a hamster with that name.

Just got back from the vet. NOT an abcess. The doc thought it was more of a trauma type wound. He thought that maybe Petunia gave him the what for, but I don't see it. I think that there is just something that he is bumping his head into. He is pretty active and not the most graceful of bunnies.

Before I could even ask, the doc did a scraping. He didn't find anything to make him worry. He gave me Silver Sulfadiazine to apply to the wound 2-3 time a day. I asked if I need to keep Bert and Petunia apart so she doesn't groom it off, and he said that its not going to hurt her. He'd rather the stuff stay on, but its not going to hurt my girl.

The scraping was pretty traumatic for poor little Bert. We the doc was done, for the first time ever, Bert literally jumped into my arms. He isn't big on being held, which is OK. He will put up with it for a minute, and then looks for a place to jump to. Not this time, he jumped into my arms and despite that exam table right there, he just clung onto me. While the doc was out, I just held and talked softly to my little baby boy.

What I thought was pretty cool, after the doc came back and we discussed treatment and stuff, he took a minute and gave Bert a long hung on the table. I thought that was a nice touch.

:yahoo:

Good to hear! Silver sulfadiazine is a good topical antibiotic, so it should help the wound heal w/o problems. Let us know how it works!

Latest posts

Back