My baby boy Bert

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchster

Reaction score
Sick Bunny - Bert

- Description (Breed, color., weight): Rescue Bunny - just under 5 pounds brown

- spayed/neutered?: nuetered

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? : Have 2 bunnies - difficult to tell who does what
- When did they last use their litterbox? : Have 2 bunnies - difficult to tell who does what
- Any unusual behavior? : not interested in food, sitting there with his eyes half closed in kind of a big bunny ball, failed the treat test

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? : has gotten similar to this a could of times before - got Reglan from the vet 1st time (worked), next time systems came up, Reglan worked again.

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?: hay (oxbow) unlimited, pellets oxbow about a cup for dinner, treats 1/2 a wheat thin or a sprig or two of oxbow Alfalfa hay
- when and what did s/he eat last? : greens for breakfast (carrots lettuce with little apple slice for snack)

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? : doesn't really want to move much

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? : nothing other than the carpet they walk on

- has the rabbit been outdoors? : only in the carrier on the way to the car a couple of weeks ago for a vet visit for a cut.

Not been a good day...just got back from the human ER because my Uncle was sick. Tried to give Bert a dose of Reglan...at best partially successful (I'm so not a doctor) attempted about 3/4 of recommended dosage (which is 1.0 ml). Put fresh hay, water, pellets and clean little box into isolation cage to monitor Bert individually. Will wait until tonight to even attempt next step - Laxatone smeared on paw and/or Simethicone (baby drops).

Other rabbit (Petunia) appears to be system free, passed snack test with flying colors.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. From my long talks with my rescue, this the normal course of action for a bunny that appears to have GI tract issues.

You definitely need to separate the rabbits to the extent that you can easily identify intake and output.

Reglan should never be given unless the rabbit is x-rayed to rule out a blockage. you may not want to give it anyway.; try these other less harsh methodsmethods first.

I am going to give you the link to a thread that is recent
.. follow the instructions in this post using pedialyte, benebac and simethicone. hydration is extremely important ..
You also may want to get a fresh pineapple and syringe several cc's of pineapple juice several times per day; it needs to be a fresh pineapple

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=51591&forum_id=16

if there is anything that you do not understand just post more questions
this is the treatment protocol which may resolve the problem;..of course if this is not sufficient within the next 12 hrs or so your rabbit should go to the vet.

How do you attempt to give a small bunny or heck any bunny something when they are not interested in taking it? Every time i get the little srygen (sp?) near his mouth, he violently shakes his head!

I was looking for perhaps a yourtube video or something-actually at this point anything.

Good luck and thanks for posting all that info. I agree with what angieluv said. To give bunnies medicine, I hold them the same way I would if I were cutting nails (depends on whether or not they "trance") and administer them that way.

He is back to his old self. Wrapping him up in the burrito was the key. I think that once he realized he couldn't get away, he took his medicine.

Perhaps those posts should be at the top of the page so that they are easy to find? Just thinking aloud.

Back