My American Lop rabbit lip is injured & I need help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WookieChappie2019

Reaction score
I have two rabbits. 1 Canadian, He is alot bigger than my American Lop. Last night the Canadian rabbit was out roaming around and my American Lop was inside his cage, somehow he bit my American Lop rabbit through the cage and got his upper lip. I do not have a reliable ride to take him to a vet nor do I have the money to pay for him to be examined or for medication. I need help, if anyone has any home remedies I can do. That would be very much appreciated. He don't appear to be in any pain but I'm not sure. He's been active running around, nothing unusual. He has been trying to lay down but he only does this for a few seconds then he gets back up again. He hasn't been able to eat or drink anything I tried cutting his food into tiny pieces and giving him water through ba siringe but nothing. I've cleaned his wound.

Attachments

• 0715200932.jpg
    0715200932.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi. Firstly, don't panic. It is hard to see in this photo maybe you can try and get more where we can see clearer. but I can tell you if you keep it clean it will heal within a few days. Bad part is that he can't eat, because he needs his gut moving all the time, otherwise he can develop GI stasis, but maybe you can feed him through syringe. A few hours is fine, I understand that it is painful right now.

As I said, the wound will heal but I can't see if he needs some stitches there. If so you should get him to vets anyway.

What did you use for cleaning his wound? Saline (salt water) is probably most popular for disinfecting open wounds, then you can make strong herbal teas to make compresses a couple times a day. Sage, yarrow would be great, some other herbs as well.

Thank you so much! Yes I did clean it with saline. How often should I clean his wound? I did feed & give him water through a syringe that seems to help he did eat and drink water. That made me feel alot better because he wasn't eating anything but I did mush his pellets and he ate fine. He is still active. It's not bleeding or anything but he does keep cleaning his face. Is that fine?

Back