Mushy poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alliscat

Reaction score
So i have noticed that my bunnies poop is squishy lately I have read that too many carrots or fruits can cause this I have stopped feeding him carrots should I take away his veggies too and hat about oats

So i have noticed that my bunnies poop is squishy lately I have read that too many carrots or fruits can cause this I have stopped feeding him carrots should I take away his veggies too and hat about oats
Yeah , i would take away veg , and just feed pellets if you feed them and hay , i feed oats as an occasional treat , not everyday. ( probably 2-4 a week )

Well, how old is he? His age should decide if he is getting veggies/fruits and how much he is getting.

I wouldn't jump to removing the veggies just yet unless the mushy poop is really bad. Is it a daily occurrence and did it just start or has it been going on for a while? What type of pellets do you feed, how much do you feed each day, and how much does your bun weigh? Do you also free feed a grass hay like timothy? Have you changed anything in your rabbits diet recently, added or increased any foods? What veggies and other foods do you feed, frequency and amount?

If it's not too bad I would start first with removing sugary/starchy foods like the carrot and oats(fruit, grains, etc). That may be all that is needed. But if it's severe, been going on for a while, and/or doesn't clear up after removing the starchy foods after a week, then you may need to make more drastic changes for a few weeks, to give your rabbits digestive microflora a chance to get back in balance.
https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/

And in any instance, if it's not just mushy cecotropes but your rabbits fecal poop is runny or pudding like(not just a one off small amount), that is diarrhea and an immediate emergency.

Pellets aren’t necessary in a rabbit’s diet; a lot people just give them to their rabbits because rabbits love them. Hay is the most important part in the diet (NEVER take that away! It should account for about 80% of the diet), and veggies come after that, so I wouldn’t take away the veggies just yet. If you do choose to give your rabbit pellets, make sure it’s a good brand, and only give him 1/4 cup a day. Only give oats as an occasional treat. If you’re feeding him any sugary foods, that could be what’s causing the squishy poop.

Back