Mum and female kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DottyRabbit

Reaction score
Hello :)

I was just wondering if anybody has experience of keeping female kits in with their mother for life?

My girl had an accidental litter back in october. We had 6 kits, 2 bucks and 4 does. I've rehomed the bucks since then :)cry2) and still have all 4 does. I highly doubt I'll be rehoming them, unless somebody absolutely PERFECT happens to come along. But I still don't think I would part with them now. They're all living happily together still, and I keep a close eye on them. They will of course all be spayed eventually, I just can't afford to do them all at once!

Thanks for your help, and here's a couple of photos! :inlove:

d1bc668693c611e29f2e22000a1fb37d_7.jpg

522447_10152727009630565_1473177335_n.jpg

I think they could make it along together As Long As they have plenty of space for escape in case of an argument. Having five rabbits together they need to have a large amount of space. If they are given that I think it could work as people have colony rabbits without many problems

Thank you for your reply :) they currently have a very large enclosure, and I'm looking to extend it using one of the runaround set ups, so that shouldn't be a problem :)

It would be best to get them all spayed as soon as you can. I have seen pairs of females that were intact and while they were not fighting, they also were not really bonded in the sense that they got along really well and actually wanted to be together rather than just tolerate each other. One of these pairs were mother and daughter and had been together for about 2-3 years.
Until you can get the spayed, you will need to keep an eye on them. Give them lots of space and options so they can get away from each other if they want to. It is also good to have a plan if you need to separate one.

The babies are getting to the age where they are going through puberty and getting hormonal. This is the time when problems may arise.

When I get them spayed, will they need to be separated to give them time to heal? I unfortunately definitely won't be able to have them all spayed at once, so I'm not sure how to go about that with how they're housed? I've got plenty of spare space if I do need to separate them at all (be it permanently or whilst they're healing from the spay), but if I did need to separate one or two whilst they were healing wouldn't that cause issues putting them back in together after? Sorry for all the (probably silly and ignorant) questions and thanks for your help!! :)

You may not need to separate them. Not all rabbits have problems being together before they are spayed/neutered. I had two unaltered does, that loved being together, and never had a problem. They grew up together as babies, and continued to get along and like each other as adults. It can happen that the hormones can start causing problems, and some of them may start to not get along, but that is something that may or may not happen. Since they've grown up together and have always been together, you may not encounter any problems. You'll just want to keep an eye out for any change in behavior that shows that they may be feeling agitated. If one of the rabbits starts having problems getting along, then you may need to separate that rabbit. But there may be no need to do that, and you will hopefully be able to keep them together before and after the spays.

They're all adorable :) I had a problem letting go of my babies too, and ended up keeping most of them, cause I worried about them ending up in a bad home.

I have unspayed mom and daughter. No real fights but they obviously prefer not to hang out together. Mom is always seen cuddling with Dad and Son (both spayed) while the Daughter is on her own. But she has been a loner since early age (we had litter of 4: 3 boys and her). Daughter is extremely brave rabbit (sitting in front of neighbor's dog who is barking at her through the fence). Mom also used to be brave but now she behaves a bit different.
Both girls would sit together from time to time though. I can't say I have any problems

They are adorable. How can they all be so different in colors? Two of my kits looked exactly like mom, and two others - exactly like dad, no variations. You've got a rainbow!
Can I ask what they are eating on the pic? Looks like quick oats?

Thanks very much for your opinions :) I will keep a close eye on them and get them all fixed ASAP!

Thumperina, I know it's amazing how different the colours are! I had two blue eyed whites, one of which was one of the bucks I rehomed, who are identical to daddy bun, but other than that all of them are so different, it's amazing! And yes they're eating oats in the photo, they love them as a treat occasionally :)

Latest posts

Back