Mucus in Poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopeFarm

Reaction score
I was given a beautiful Doe, she looks like a Hotot mix. She was fine for a few months but now she has a mucusy poop. None of my other rabbits have had this and I don't know what the cuase is or the cure.
I am feeding pellet and give her hay to help,(this did seem to reduce the problem but is not curing it). She has not lost weight. She is active and friendly and I hate to lose her.

Tom in NE Ohio

Hi Tom,

Mucus in the poop is a sign of an imbalance in the gut. The mucus is the body's response in an effort to protect the walls of the GI tract from irritation. This could be coming from several things including improper diet (too many pellets), infection, spoiled food (and I have been on the watch for mycotoxin issues due to the weird hay baling season) or even dental issues. If you took her to a vet and cultured the gut, you would most likely find clostridium or possibly e coli. Both are toxic and can be fatal if not properly treated. I would really push the hay right now along with lots of water. If you have a pet store or a vet near you, it would not be a bad idea to start a probiotic. I prefer a product called Bene-Bac as it contains a very helpful strain of L Casei. We treat these conditions with a targeted antibiotic that is only available at a vet by prescription.

You might be advised to use something like yogurt to help the gut. Do not use yogurt. This is an old idea that looks good on paper but is actually harmful. You may also be advised to use some of the "antibiotics" that you can purchase at farm supplies. They don't work on these bacteria.

At this point, check her housing for any possible spoiled food....and keep a close watch on the rest of your rabbits just in case it's food related. The best option would be get to a rabbit savvy vet to see what the bacteria is causing the problem and attack it with correct drugs. But the hay and probiotics can be of help in these situations. I would also cut way back on the pellets and eliminate any treats such as carrots or "junk food" if she is getting anything like that. A rabbit's gut needs low protein and high fiber to operate correctly.

Randy

Randy covered mucus poop issues pretty well. ;) I also recommend having a fecal done to rule out parasites.

Also keep in mind thatmucus poop is not uncommon in Hotots due to nerve defects in the intestinal lining. A higher fiber diet along with some rolled oats in the feed can help.

Pam

Latest posts

Back