Mucous/foamy poos.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizzyMayHarvey

Reaction score
This morning I noticed my Flemish Giant Alice had weird looking poos. There were some that had thick, brown-clear mucous like jelly stuff in it (I think from last night) and then she did a 'poo' that was white and foamy as I was next to her this morning. I tried looking it up on Google and here but couldn't find anything about foamy looking poos. I am super nervous right now because I was reading about mucoid enteritis and coccidiosis and how they are fatal. I am totally worried and freaked out! She has never had this thing before and she is 2 and half ish years old. Never even had GI Statis. Right now she is acting one hundred percent normally. Hopping around, giving me kisses, eating lots of hay, (although I held off on the pellets this morning due to her poos) and still toileting a few normal poos but some have the jelly stuff in them, her wees are normal. She looks normal as well, no diarrhoea but maybe her poos are slightly soft. Her bum is only a tiny bit messy but she looks to be cleaning herself well. She has had no new or strange foods.
What could be wrong with her? I'm so stressed as I've read bad endings with mucous poos. Could it be nothing? Do I need to take her to the vet? We don't go to the vet often and Alice has never been so I don't know if the ones that advertise as 'rabbit savvy' are actually rabbit savvy or not. My parents also have zero extra money at the moment but I have been saving a couple hundred dollars in case of emergencys so if the vet is not needed then that would be great.
As I said she is acting completely normal and looks healthier then ever to me. Right now she is eating more hay and she's drinking lots of water so I don't know if there's anything wrong.

I'm sorry for the long post but why do bunnies have to stress us so much!

From a very worried bun mum to a very amazing bun.❤️

I've only known a foamy white substance in the urine to be associated with a uterine infection. Never have seen it associated with the poop. Sometimes with a new food, if a rabbit is sensitive to it, it can sometimes cause a little bit of mucous as the food is passed, which is usually minor and clears up once the offending food is expelled.

But with you not having fed anything new, and seeing both a white foamy substance and mucous, I would be concerned about there being some sort of bacterial infection going on. I can't say for sure there is something serious going on, but usually white discharge means an infection, and mucous means something is causing irritation and a bacterial imbalance in the digestive tract. So I would suspect it being something serious. With these symptoms, I would want my rabbit to be seen by a knowledgeable rabbit vet right away. And I would want my rabbit put on a rabbit safe antibiotic(a sulfa antibiotic would also take care of coccidiosis in case it was that) and meloxicam at a minimum.

You can check this list to see if any of the recommended rabbit vets are near you.
http://rabbitvet.net/AustralianRabbitVets.htm

Oh dear. That doesn't sound good. It is almost 6:00pm now so do you think she can wait for tomorrow for the vet? None of those vets were in the city I'm in so I'll Google around and hopefully find a rabbit savvy one.
She is not spayed so could she have a uterine infection do you think? The foamy stuff was not mixed with poo or wee and her wee looks normal.
Is there anything I can give her or do for her in the mean time? She is still eating lots of hay and drinking and being her normal self.
She is also an outdoor bun so do you think it could be worms or something?
Oh my gosh I am so nervous and literally shaking. That wasn't what I wanted to hear but thankyou for the information and taking the time to reply to my worries.❤️

Also should I keep giving her pellets to encourage her eating or keep her off those and encourage more hay? She eats a decent amount of hay but does love her pellets.

Lots of good quality grass hay is always good. It at least, will help with the mucous poop situation. I'm not saying for sure the foamy discharge is an infection, so no reason to presume that. Just that it's the only time I've ever read of it occurring with a rabbit. But there can always be more than one explanation. It's good that she is still eating and behaving normally. So it means she's at least not in pain or discomfort. Always a good sign. I guess just see how she is in the morning and decide then.

Okay thanks. I checked on her again and she is still eating, binkying, drinking, kissing, and she did a bunch of poops that look normalish. They weren't all uniform but I don't think they had any mucous in them and no more foamy-ness yet. I will talk to my parents and think about taking her to the vet tomorrow if there is no improvement. Thanks again for the help.☺️

Latest posts

Back