Mr. Wiggles Cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, it looks like you put a lot of creativity and work into building his new home!

i bet Mr Wiggles is very grateful to have his three story house!

is that corn cob litter? just the thought of litter in general makes me feel crazy and confused!

Thanks,

He really wasn't sure what to do with his house when we first got him.It was about 10 days before he tried jumping up onto the first ledge.

That's Woody's Animal Bedding. I plan on making a wire grill to goinside the litter box once my husband is around to help me, so thathe's never actually standing in the litter.

Megan

The wire isn't actually going to go over thewhole litter box, it will go inside the litter box, but above thelitter, so that he's not standing in an area where he's peed.

Megan

As long as you clean out the wetlitter every day and replace it with fresh litter, there is no need forwire to be in the litter box. Having timothy hay on top of the littercan help keep their feet cleaner between cleanings.

That's true, he only comes in contact with hissoiled litter when he's pottying, so it's not a horrific amount. But Ihave extra wire that would go to waste otherwise, it's no trouble forme to provide him that extra bit of comfort.

Megan

Actually, wire's a bit harsh onrabbit feet and can cause pododermatitis (sore hocks), and along withthat, the amount of ammonia in rabbit urine will cause the wire torust, which will also be harmful to your rabbit.

Neat set up!

Succubus wrote:
Actually, wire's a bit harsh on rabbit feet and cancause pododermatitis (sore hocks), and along with that, the amount ofammonia in rabbit urine will cause the wire to rust, which will also beharmful to your rabbit.
The plastic resting boards are nice to use on wire floors and give relief for feet.

Pam

Wow Megan!

Great set-up!! A lot of good ideas going on there. That's one lucky bunny. :)

-Carolyn

Thanks to both of you. Getting a "first" of anyanimal is always such a learning experience, when I got my first bird,I had an appropriate sized cage and some toys, but nothing close to thesetup they have now, and their diets are radically different than howthey started out. In fact, I just ordered 3 brand new cages that aregoing to knock their pin feathers off!

Same with the rabbit, when I started outI thought, "Oh I'llget a little rabbit, his cage (which I was planning to be much smallerthan what we have) can be up in (my son) Peter's room, no biggy". Afterdoing more research on the kind of rabbit I wanted, I realized thatthey were really quite large, and I couldn't find a large cage locally,or one I could order that was reasonable. I'd been to the cavycagewebsite a LONG time ago and found it again. They have posts frommembers that show cages for other pets (like rabbits) and that's whatoriginally inspired me. Aside from the fact that I wanted the biggest Icould get, I also didn't know what to expect from my other animals, I'mvery good at divying up time for the animals, I don't let thedogs and cat out at the same time as the birds, but I didn't know howthe rabbit would fit in.... turns out he gets along great witheveryone, cat-dogs-birds-kids! But I wanted to be prepared ahead oftime, not really knowing how much time out of the day he would bespending in there.

It's all worked out so much better than I could have ever imagined!

Megan

Back