Mr butters wont let me clip his nails!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunn_mother

Reaction score
I am struggling to clip Mr butters nails💅. He won't let me hold him to do it or even touch his paws I'm afraid that they have to long for him to let me clip them he struggles running around with them. I've clipped one nail but he won't let me do the rest! Help!!

Try as they do on the video and see if it works. Otherwise do the bunny burrito or ask for help.

Myself always go with help when my bunnies aren’t used to be handled.

Ok thank you! Do you know if once he is neutered it may be easier or does have nothing to do with it?

Ok thank you! Do you know if once he is neutered it may be easier or does have nothing to do with it?

Most bunnies don’t like nail trimming, but you can train. Try to go with a lots of treats and let him get used to be handled ☺

So he can maybe get used to get the nails trimmed.

Neutering only helps with litter habit and hormonal behaviors.

It probably your bunny doesn't understand what you are doing. I'd recommend getting a partner to help you, or try to do it when your bunny is less active (sleeping time). A method I recommend using is trying to distract your bunny with food (bunnies love food) like try feeding your bun pellets while you clip the nails, but make sure to do it fast !! Good Luck c: !

Thank you I tried to give him banana and he didnt know what to do cuz he didnt want me to clip his nails but he wanted the banana 😄

Very instructive.Many thanks.I would only make two points.firstly,the more you get the rabbit used to having the feet touched and manipulated,the less stressful it is for them when nail cutting comes around,and with overly long nails,they can not only curl under and potentially pierce the foot,but can get trapped in cracks in a cage etc and even get pulled out,not something you want if it can be avoided.

Thank you I tried to give him banana and he didnt know what to do cuz he didnt want me to clip his nails but he wanted the banana 😄
I would focus on bonding with your rabbit and gaining his trust first, also don't hesitate holding him and grooming him, as above I agree that if you regularly hold him and pet him, groom etc, he won't be scared when you hold him to clip his nails.
All my rabbits love to be groomed and clipping their nails takes minutes without any stress and burrito or something, I never place them on a table only on my lap. They are not scared of me and let me do anything I want, no complaints.

Latest posts

Back