Mr. Bun Bun's Dander Issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
For about a month now, Mr. Bun Bun(7 year old holland lop) has this dander issue in one area of his back. He's doing a bit of shedding and his hair is full of dander and the skin has tiny lumps of dander. He also has a few scabs, obviously from constant scatching and nipping.

So, what do you think the issue is here? Do you think I should give him a bath? Although I just gave him one not too long ago. What could be causing this?

Here's a pic of the part of the back where the dander issue is occuring:

imag0212.jpg

I would appreciate any help!

Where do I buy INSECTICIDAL SHAMPOO - in america? It's not in petsmart or walmart and not even for cats.
I've only seen one kind of insecticidal shampoo - over the internet - and it's only available in the United Kingdom!

DO NOT USE INSECTICIDE SHAMPOO ON A RABBIT!!!!

Many drugs (and insecticides are technically drugs) are transdermal...which means they absorb thru the skin. Many rabbits have met tragic ends due to this. Same with cats and dogs with the "dime store" variety parasite treatments found in pet and discount stores. I have seen some serious neurological damage in many species due to people giving these unsafe treatments. Insecticides are toxins....and many of them are deadly to rabbits. Even well known products like Frontline are fatal to rabbits. Ivermectin isvery dangerous in high doses. Toxins are nothing to play with.

The safe and proper way to determine what is going on is have a vet perfrom a "skin scraping". A small sample of the top layer of skin with be shaved and looked at under a microscope. It is also possible that intestinal parasites are the cause....had that unusual condition happen here.

Randy

Yeah, rabbits are not meant to be bathed. Dandruff like you're seeing is usually a fur mite issue, which needs to be treated by a vet. The drugs of choice are Revolution, Advantage or ivermectin (generic). Not Frontline or other dog/cat antiparasitics.

Sorry I haven't been here in a while!
We just got back from the vet. He indeed has fur mites. He's on Revolution.
I must say, Mr. Bun was very hastey at the vet! He tried to bite the vet several times, struggled to be released when he tried to hear his heart beat, grunted, and he is shedding really bad right now. When he would shake his hair would get all over the veternarian. He was pulling fur out mouth and his nose!

Atleast the fury of the fur mites will be gone!

Latest posts

Back