Mr. Bun Bun and Shedding Issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
Mr. Bun Bun, my 7 year old holland lop, has been shedding into his winter coat since August. The shedding usually last about 1-2 months, and of course the decreases as time goes on.
Well now it's almost November and the shedding has only decreased a little bit. He's still shedding badly, getting hair with fur mites(hopefully they are dead, he currently is on Revolution drops) all over his food, toys, water bottle tube, all over the place. I'm afraid he's going to get a hair ball!

Because he's on a fur mite treatment, he cannot get a bath right now. All I can do is brush him, and he really likes to be comb that he will actually lay down for me. Poor bun! He must be really itchy!

So, why is he shedding so much?
Is it ok if I can put some talcum powder on him, or will it mess with his fur mite treatment?

Please help us out!

With best regards,

Coniglio and Mr. Bun Bun.

If the Revolution is being dosed correctly this is a common treatment for fur mites. Just keep on brushing out the dead hair and do not put talcum on a rabbit as it isn't safe.
Manyrabbits will look very "rough' when they are losing hair and this may continue until the new growth comes in. he is most likely going through a shed and also has fur mites so he may look particularly bad.

What do you see falling out all over the place? ; fur mites may look sort of like dandruff

Thanks!

They do look just like dandruff, infact, I even thought he had a dander issue at first and made a topic about it, but I was corrected by some one.
I see alot of hair, but if you look up close at it, you can see the "dandruff(fur mites)" in it. I've noticed that the clumps of mites on his skin are going away. I hope it ends quickly.

Fur mites need to be treated with an antiparasitic drug, like Revolution or Advantage (not Frontline). Two doses a few weeks apart should do it.

Latest posts

Back