MPHF and their bun Floppy need some good wishes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Today I had the pleasure of going to see MPHF and their 4 buns. Unfortunately, my presence (and clearly awful smell) acted as a catalyst for Floppy and Harley to have a bit of a barney because Floppy lacks vision and Harley smelt badly of what I smelt like.

Unfortunately this led to the pair shooting two foot in the air together. Floppy landed very badly and has hurt her leg.

She is now at the vets, with her freshly reconciled, right smelling husbun Harley for x-rays.

As all bunny owners know, this is very stressful so can MPHF please have some good wishes from you all, pretty please :)

:( Poor girlie. Did they say what happens next? Or what your options are?

It's also the ulna in the forearm that has broken.
Our options are surgery to reconstruct the elbow and wire it to the tricep that they haven't done on a rabbit before. Just leave her to see how she does with pain meds or amputation. The vet said there was no way he was going to put her to sleep and he doesn't really want to amputate.
He reccommends surgery but it could leave her with bad arthritis.
I have to phone again in the morning so he can give me a price on the surgery.
We could still do with the good wishes for Flops though!
Please don't feel bad Tracy, we don't blame you, it may of happened anyway.

How scary! Best wishes to you guys. Remember that amputation isn't that bad, if that's what it comes to. If it's a front leg, it might be even easier to deal with the loss of than a back one.

We also have some good resources to deal with arthritis pain--glucosamine supplements, some pain meds that are better for longer-term application, etc.

[[hugs]]

I phoned the vets this morning to see how she was doing and they said that the vet would phone me back later. The receptionist didn't say how she was so we are trying not to think the worst... :(

Hey Clare, try not to worry. If something had happened overnight they would ave called you first thing. Right now all the vets will be in surgery or consulting and the receptionist is not able to give out information like that (plus they probably didn't even know).

Remember that they asked you to call at 11, and that's because I believe that's when they have a morning break so vets would be available to speak to you.

In fact, the fact they haven't called you is good news.

Hannah did say that the receptionist didn't know but we just sort of got in to a mad panic thinking bad things that could of happened. I was so worried and wanted to know how she was (and Harley) and that she had a good night.

I know, it's definitely hard waiting, but they asked you to call at a time when they could talk. It's definitely very easy to panic when you know nothing, have no information and feel that no one is telling you anything, but they definitely would tell you if anything bad had happened (that would have been a priority first thing this morning if something had happened overnight). Also bear in mind that they have the trainee nurse on reception this week too so she will know even less than the regular receptionists and also maybe not have a good manner yet. Sit tight and wait for them to call you back, but if you haven't heard anything by like quarter past 11 then call again.

Also remember that if they don't call it might mean they have an emergency in and have to deal with that over a phone call about a stable patient, so, again, don't instantly fear the worst.

If anything bad did happen they would have to let you know ASAP, so the fact they haven't spoken to you is a good thing-even if right now it doesn't feel like it.

So I just phoned and Joe had to work through his break as an emergency came in. He will phone me at about 12.30.
The receptionist went to see Floppy and Harley and said they were fine, been eating and drinking and she even gave them a little stroke. :)

Aw, that's good news about your two. Hopefully whatever the emergency was that animal is ok. I hope Joe manages to talk to you at half twelve.

It would be good if you could pop down and see them both today, to satisfy yourself, but hopefully also knowing that they have been seen and that you have had a positive update will help :)

Thinking of you guys and hoping you get some good news soon.

That's a good sign you're not deemed as an emergency. So see it as a good thing. They are probably still trying to catch up from whatever emergency happened earlier.

Latest posts

Back