Moving with a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evania

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep Taffy happy in a roomie (for a bunny)carrier for 10+ hours? I don't have the room for anything large in the vehicle and we are moving from nevada to colorado.

I was considering trying to train her to use a harness and leash so I could let her out whenI let the dogs out.

I have moved with a rabbit twice. Cali to Colorado then Colorado to VA. 2-3 days for me though. I pulled down the back seat and kept a litter box in the trunk. she was aloud on the seat we had pulled down and a small bit of the trunk. She didn't eat much during the trip because I didn't want any accidents in the car. She got to eat more at the hotel. I have found that the carrier is to bulky and it's easier to have the rabbit have a seat instead because bunny doesn't like being stuck in the carrier because she/he needs to make sure we aren't being stupid while driving. Just line the seat with a trash bag and put blankets on top. If this is a 2 person trip that would be better because someone can sit with bunny.

Maybe getting a u-haul if you got lots of stuff. Don't put your rabbit in the u-haul just the boxes.

Thanks so much for the responses =)
I'm going to have to go the carrier route. I'm going to be driving a uhaul with my car on a trailer and it will be two dogs, and taffy riding in the cab with myself, my brother, and a friend. I'll also try to see if she'll walk in a harness so I can let her run around at rest stops.

Just Bunny loves rides in the truck. His longest trip was about 4 hours but he enjoyed himself and was none the worse for wear when he got there. I was lucky enough to have enough room in the truck to just put him in there, cage and all. He sat and looked out the window, listened to the radio and the human conversation and basically chilled out. I had to take his water bottle away as it just dripped and made a mess all over but had no problems.

To take him to the vet to get neutered I put him in a roomy cardboard box with a little litter box, wrapped in blankets ( mini rex=no winter coat=minus 25 canadian winter weather). He sat in his litter box the whole hour long trip and hung out. Maybe he will not like truck rides anymore seeing what happened to him on this last trip (neuter) - lol

Our Alona was fine in a carrier during a 12 trip to a 1 week vacation campground. At the campground we placed her in a 8 sided pet fence area. Once during the drive we stopped at a rest area and st up the 8 sides pet fence for her to poop, pee and eat grass. She was fine on the way home too.

During the holidays we travel a lot to see family, and the bunnies come with. They just stay in their carriers and sleep for the 13 hour trip to Georgia and the 10hr trip from GA to MI, and then the 8hr trip from MI back to WI. Just give them lots of hay, a water bottle, and a small carrier that they can feel safe in. Put the carrier perpendicular to the direction of travel so they don't slide around as much, and the hay will give them traction and something to do. Try to keep sound in their part of the vehicle low.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. My bunnies have gone for 8 hour trips without a problem. In fact, she probably won't be interested in leaving the carrier and going into the wide world (I know that would make my two very nervous!). Just make sure you have hay, water (which I would only offer when you stop, or else it makes a mess) and some veggies that have a high water content (like lettuce) that she can eat if she's feeling thirsty.

Back