Moving Tips (California to Texas, 2 days)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danakscully64

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here, but I really need some advice and figured this would be the best place to get it. In a few weeks (or maybe later, I find out today for sure when), I will be traveling from Southern California to Corpus Christi Texas to move with my military man. The car ride will be cut into two days and will likely last the full 2 days (morning to night). I was wondering what the best way was to transport my 5 pound rabbit, Mason. I was thinking a cat carrier or a dog crate, which do you think would be best? He's litter box trained and is used to his C&C cage. My only concern is I will have a Durango to move out there, but will only have my Jetta when I get there. This is a concern because there are hurricanes out there and in case of an emergency evacuation, I would have to pack him up along with my 3 chinchillas and 45 pound dog, there's no room for a crate in my car. Maybe I could get a cat carrier in case of an emergency and fold down a crate in the trunk. Any advice you have would be absolutely wonderful and greatly appreciated. Thank You!

And here's a picture of my baby:

650173432_39560102cf.jpg

I just realized that the last time I posted here was about rehoming Mason in 2007. I was pretty overwhelmed at the time and I'm glad I decided to keep him, he's an angel. :inlove:

1179065062_249df5d554.jpg

We moved from St. Petersburg, FL to Houston, TX a few years ago with my two mini-lops. I used a larger size cat carrier and when we stopped (frequently) I had my backseat covered with a shower curtain covered by blankets so they could move around. I also had a cooler with cilantro and other favorite foods that they got at every stop. They refused to eat or drink anything else, so I wet down the veggies before I gave it to them. In researching hotels, I found Red Roof Inn to be most accommodating for bunnies.

It did take them a few days when we got here to get them acclimated--lots of attention to ward off GI stasis.

Hi Storm uses a cat carrier also I have never made a long trip with him but I do have a emergency travel kit as I live in galveston tx picture below. This is packed 24 7 in case of a emergency. That is a small cat carrier with information. He has a small life stages kennel for a home to live in while we are evacuated hope this helps

SDC11412.jpg

SDC11409.jpg

Ben Bac

SDC11410.jpg

Critical care

SDC11411.jpg

SDC11407.jpg

His full emergency kit

SDC11421.jpg

His kennel travel only the tog on the front has his name me and hubbys name and adress and me and hubbys cells and 2 other emergency contact numbers. In case they cant get a hold of us. And a blanket

SDC11418.jpg

His food I change this food everytime i buy a new bag about once every three months. It is three weeks worth of food. And very easy to clean food and water bowl

SDC11417.jpg

Medical travel kit I have two of everything so I dont have to snatch out of the other. In the event of a emergency we will have to leave fast. I want him to have everything. I use the stuff out of the emergency kit when I buy new stuff so nothing goes bad.

SDC11414.jpg

A bag of toys and toilet paper rolls I dont keep a hay ben in his emergeny kit. These toilet paper roll will provide his hay for him.

SDC11416.jpg

Snuggle sack it has a rice sock in it it was a dog toy I found at wal mart that your suposed to put a frozen water bottle in for you dog to chew and play with and keep them cool.

SDC11415.jpg

The container I keep it in I have every pets labeled so once I get them where they are going I dont have to keep checking each one.

SDC11419.jpg

We also have a small dog kennel its about 2 feet by 1 1/2 feet enough for him in a emergency situation. To live in for a few weeks. But that is in our car so I cant get a picture of that right now

His box of hay is stored by the front door along with the emergency kits so we would just grab that.

Again hope this helps post it anywhere you need it.

Kat

Oh and for my dog and cat I also have the same type of thing. I just use the cat litter container to recyle them so they dont go into the land fills.

Everyones kennel is kept in my truck I have a huge trunk so its never a big deal.

I have a four door car and we fit 2 dogs and 3 cats last year. With these emergency kits I never thought about it tell my friend made them at the pet shop. I just bought a premade one from him.

If I did not have those last year I would have been lost in the way of pets. I siggest getting one together.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got your messages, haven't had time to read them yet, but I promise I will in the next few days. Getting ready to move and working a lot is stressful! Exciting though :)

Hello again! My critters and I all made it to Texas safely :)

Mason did very well. I had some issues on day 1 with his water bottle, but the problem was fixed for day 2 and 3 :) I didn't want to leave him with no water because he drinks a lot, but never when I would put the bottle on his cage. I ended up leaving it there and the entire bottle soaked him. Big mistake. Solution: I would fill it up a cm, put something to soak up the mess under, and leave it on his cage until the next stop.

I ended up using your cat carrier idea, Mrs. PBJ. He was very happy to be back in his cage when we got to Texas :)

Thanks for all the help!

Glad things went so well.

Mason is too adorable to resist, I know :p I can't get enough of his bunny mouth.

My next stress is finding a sitter for him when I go to California to Christmas. I have no idea how that's going to work out. I have a Jetta and I can't fit all of my animals in my car. I don't trust anyone with my pets. This is going to be tough.

And I leave you with another Mason picture :)

IMG_4043-1.jpg

Make it two

IMG_4312-1.jpg

He is too adorable! I'd make a post in the regional section, and if that doesn't work, try just the general forum. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=85

I boarded our bunnies with the vet when we had to go out of town for almost 2 weeks in the summer. We don't have central air, so using window air conditioners wouldn't work so well for such a long time with a pet sitter only stopping in once a day. It was only $16-$17 /day for two bunnies in one cage, and we have two pairs, so that was $32-34 a day, which sounds like a lot, but it was worth it. And it's not that much more expensive than a pet sitter--the one I found (a guy I volunteer with at the shelter here) was asking $20 a day for a 30 min visit once a day. Your vet may board bunnies, or know of people who can do it too, and the humane society is a good resource for that kind of thing too.

I would recommend posting in the general rabbit forum as well as the regional forum. A lot of folks don't make it down that far.

I wish I was local. I would bunsit in a heartbeat. I frequently bunsit for local people for a donation to my rescue. Adorable Bugsy was just picked up by mom and dad today after a week at Casa Patti!

I hope you can find a loving sitter for Mason.

tonyshuman wrote:
He is too adorable! I'd make a post in the regional section, and if that doesn't work, try just the general forum. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_forum.php?id=85

I boarded our bunnies with the vet when we had to go out of town for almost 2 weeks in the summer. We don't have central air, so using window air conditioners wouldn't work so well for such a long time with a pet sitter only stopping in once a day. It was only $16-$17 /day for two bunnies in one cage, and we have two pairs, so that was $32-34 a day, which sounds like a lot, but it was worth it. And it's not that much more expensive than a pet sitter--the one I found (a guy I volunteer with at the shelter here) was asking $20 a day for a 30 min visit once a day. Your vet may board bunnies, or know of people who can do it too, and the humane society is a good resource for that kind of thing too.
I'm just nervous. Mason is very used to his cage and I think he might freak if he had to be kept somewhere else. I'm hoping we won't be gone more than a week, that would get VERY pricey. I'm going to call around soon, thanks for the suggestion :)

slavetoabunny wrote:
I would recommend posting in the general rabbit forum as well as the regional forum. A lot of folks don't make it down that far.

I wish I was local. I would bunsit in a heartbeat. I frequently bunsit for local people for a donation to my rescue. Adorable Bugsy was just picked up by mom and dad today after a week at Casa Patti!

I hope you can find a loving sitter for Mason.
Aww, I wish you were near me too! I really hope I can find the right person :)

myLoki wrote:
I live three hours from Corpus. What days are you planning to leave?

t.
Not really sure yet, the Navy won't tell us for a little bit longer when our free days are. There are 2 blocks, one starts about a week before Christmas and goes to right after (9 days) and the other starts on the 23rd and goes until the beginning of January. Both would be over Christmas, it would be about 7-8 days total of rabbit sitting (driving takes 2 day each way, all day).

In my head, I'm trying to figure out how everything would work out if you were able to sit... his cage is a C&C cage and folds down, but is still rather large.... if I put it in my Jetta, I would have to fold down the back seat, then I wouldn't have a spot for Mason's cat carrier :ponder: Being a Mommy is hard ;) If you can't do it, I understand. If you can, that would be great too. I'm going to call around to the local vets, shelters, and kennels, see what they say. It's times like this when I want to get an SUV.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back