Moving rabbit into warm house to outdoors..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
I just got my 3 bun's on Saturday, They are 3 Dutches, 2 Black Doe's and 1 Blue Buck,
The Buck and 1 Doe are brothers and sisters they are 6 weeks old and the other Doe is 9 weeks old,

I am trying to figure out what is the best.

They are indoors at the moments. And they are all together too, But my aunt told me to move the male out about 12-14 weeks of age. But it is getting cold and snowing outdoors, I want to move him out doors when he's alittle older to the hutch.

What is the best age and time to move him outdoors? I'm scared that he's too little to stay outdoors with out the Doe's.

Any Ideal's?

Can you seperate him from the does but still house him inside? If you let us know the obstacles to keeping him in the house maybe we can help you figure out a solution :)

The cage was for my ferret but my aunt took the ferret and give me some reigstered dutch bunnies and I kept the cage to keep the bun's indoors for the winter,

The cage haves a plastic flooring. Would the fleece blanket just wouldnt work because it would just wrinkle up and stuff. But im going to go to the farm store or walmart 2 morrow and look at rabbit cages for him.. I would love him to keep them indoor in the winter. Because it gets cold here in Mi. But when spring, comes then move them out doors... But would you leave a Buck indoors. Do they stink more then the Does??

I don't know much about housing bunnies outside, but I'd think it's too late in the year to move him out. He won't have grown a proper winter coat if he's been inside till now and wouldn't be prepared for the cold Michigan winter!

Definitely look into getting him a separate cage indoors. Try Craigslist or other classifieds ads. You can often find a used cage for about half the price of a new one.

Hope that helps!

Rue

thanks rue...

but, what about moving him in the spring outdoors?

I will be showing and breeding, And i do not want whole bunch of bun's in the house. There would be some outdoors also.

Oh, for sure, once it's warm enough outside (like getting to be the same temp outside as it is inside), then he could definitely move outside into a hutch. Plus, I'd imagine building a hutch in the spring would be much easier than in winter! ;)

Hope that helps!

Rue

We already have a hutch outdoors for them, Just they are babies and scared they would freeze to death. But my aunt told me to get him out of there when hes 12-14 weeks old, So he doesnt breed hes sister

Unless they were born and have been living outdoors I wouldn't put them out this winter. In any case I would not have him spend 2 months indoors and then put him out in the dead of winter.

If they were outdoor pets put them back out now or else wait till spring.

I'm thinking about just keeping him indoors until Spring, Just when he's about 12-14 weeks old, I have to take him away from the Doe's

Well, Today I got 3 fleece blanket's to try out, 2 morrow im going to the farm store and getting another cage.

Not sure where you are in Michigan but yahoo has a group called freecycle which is similiar to Craigslist. You can see if someone has a cage to give away or request for one.

If your aunt kept him outside all along then he will be fine because he will have grown a winter coat, but if she didn't then it's best you keep him inside until Winter is over. Then he can go outside. :) He will definitely have to be seperated from the does soon though.

yes, i know that, He was born outdoors. but know he have kept them indoor's for a week now, And want to keep them indoor's until the spring.. I'm going to get him a cage..

But, I fineally got picture's of the bun's :)

Latest posts

Back