Moving a bred doe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savannahg4

Reaction score
My doe was bred on the 16th and I just found out I am needing to relocate all my rabbits to a different residence (my place). I was wondering if it would be better to just move my doe while she is pregnant (not confirmed) or wait until the kits are kindled. The drive is less than 5 minutes and nothing but the place is changed. Same food, water, and cage, etc.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Rabbit Forum mobile app

So early in the pregnancy it should be fine, especially with such a short drive. It really depends how stressed your rabbit gets from travelling. Another user recently moved a pregnant doe and she reabsorbed her litter, but I believe it was a longer trip and a warm day. Do whatever you can to minimise stress and try to keep her around familiar objects and cages with her smell. If she's prone to stressing while in the car or from change, I would be hesitant too, although it may be better moving her now than when she is having to feed a number of kits etc.

Sounds like the move would be pretty simple. If your doe isn't high strung then it shouldn't be a problem to move her anytime until a week or so before due date.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

rabbits can be moved at any point during their pregnancy other than when they are actively giving birth... and can be moved shortly after they give birth as well.

How they handle a move depends entirely on the rabbit and how it handles change.

A five minute car ride with continuity of care should not stress her out at all. Worst that happens is a reabsorbed litter.

I have always heard you can move a doe two days before her kindling and two days after. Anything closer and you would risk the babies.

Thanks everyone for the input! I appreciate it! My rabbits are going to be moved to there new home tomorrow!

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I move rabbits all the time. I've taken rabbits in, in ALL stages of pregnancy, one even delivering as she was being transferred.

The rabbits own resiliency determines how well they will do during all that. :)

Latest posts

Back