Moulting Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestial Wind

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering..........

All of my bunnies never seem to do a huge molt (where clumos fall out) and I noticed that when I purchase one from my friend that all of hers have these huge molts. I just got a new buck and he as molting like I have never seen before.

Could good quality food and good care make them have less of a molt if they are in impecable health? As to if they are in fair health?

The only reason I ask this is because I bought a doe from the same friend last year and whenI got her she was molting like crazy and in the year I have had her I have not seen her molt like this since.

When I got S'more from the shelter, she went through a very heavy molt.
I was so concerned that I took her to the vet.

That was the only time she's done that. I figured it was stress related.

Now she gets a molt-line and loses it gradually. All of my buns are like that.

I do think that having an attentive human who brushes regularly and a healthy diet can reduce molt in some bunnies.

That being said, there are some that just shed a lot more than others, and I dont think its diet related or anything.

Stressful changes can also trigger a heavier molt from what Ive seen, so it makes sense that a new bunny might have a huge moult during the first year and then not so heavy in following years.

I notice a lot of bunnies at the shelter moult a lot, I do think its stress related in some cases.

Do you keep your rabbits indoors and does your friend keep hers outdoors?

That can have a big effect on the intensity of the molt. I have seven rabbits and each of them seems to molt very differently. I have some that just lose hair for about a month- but I never notice clumps. I have a few that start at the nose and then shed in a line that moves back to their tail.

Do all bunnys moult? Lucy is about 8-9 months old and I have never seen her lose any hair other than normal shedding, probably less than our cat.

Joy

Latest posts

Back