Moulting or mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laeci

Reaction score
Nyx is a 5-month lop/dwarf mix. A week ago I noticed a spot on her head where the fur was matted and almost looked like it was balding. I thought she might be moulting but the spot hasn't moved. Here's a picture (sorry it's a bit blurry but she wouldn't hold still!) =)

Nyx lives by herself so no one is overgrooming her, and it seems to be in a place where she couldn't pull it out herself. She hasn't been scratching and has no 'dandruff'... it's a mystery! Any ideas?

Is there new fur growing underneath? What does the skin look like? Like red? Healthy? weepy? crusty?

Is it possible that she is doing something and rubbing that part of her head somewhere and wearing the fur off?

That's how mine molt. Bo even gets bald spots that get hair in a couple of days... Clover looks about like that now. You can see the molt lines on your bunny down her neck as well.

It looks like a normal molt and adorable bunny to me. Don't pluck the hair out so that bare skin gets exposed like that if you can help it. Also, looking at the skin for dandruffy stuff or red spots can also help figure it out, but my guys all molt like that.

edit: what do you mean by saying it was matted?

The skin underneath seems perfectly healthy; she could possibly be rubbing her head on things but I've never caught her do it. As for the matted fur, it looks like the fuzzier fur that grows close to her body without any of the soft fur on top. Does that make sense? =P

I was a little worried because I read that sometimes you can't see mites, and because I couldn't find any pictures of a bunny moulting like that on the internet. Now that you mention it I see the moulting lines too, so that makes me feel a lot better. =) Thanks so much!

That totally makes sense. The fuzzier fur I think is called an undercoat. Mites will show up with dandruff, stuff that looks like dirt, red marks, or lots of scratching.

Here ya go - this is clover - you can't see it well, but she's got a molty spot right on her head like that.

Clover10.jpg

And my Bo when he was molty:

NeedToTalkToYou.jpg

Latest posts

Back