Moulting and incisor removal question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I have an angora rabbit who sometimes gets a couple of matts so i bought a new tool the other day for matt removal, however on using it, a lot of the fur came away from her lower back, and now there is just a circle there of very short new hair, is this caused by moulting and the fur would come out anyway or have i done something wrong? It isn't sore or irritating her so no mites, and there is new fur there not a bald patch, i get this with my other rabbits too but i don'tbrush them so i am hoping it is just moulting but i really have no idea, please reassure me! Also she has mal somthing incisors and the vet says they need to be removed, but i read in the bunny 101 that you can trim them down yourself, but the pictures/videos were gone, so can someone advise me on this please as she is booked in on thur to have them removed as i didn't know any better until now. Thanks.

I don't know what you are describing with the circle but if you did not cut he skin and there is a fine line of skin there and no redness or soreness I would not worry about it. if you could take a picture of it and post it it might help us butI don't think that it is a skin disease

If your vet has the ability to have the incisors removed it is a common procedue. Cutting the incisors yourself is something that is possible but not recommeneded as it is easy to cut the rabbit, cut the teeth too short

the clipping can damage the roots of the teeth in addition to the fact that you would need to do this repeatedly.
A rabbit without incsors will need to have food cut up into smaller pieces (like greens ) so that he can pick them up and then move the food back into his mouth where the molars will grind them

Did the vet check the entire mouth or just the front teeth?
I had a vet tell me that my rabbit should have his incisors removed but when I got to the dentist learned that his molars were in far worse condition than his incisors.

The fur thing sounds normal if there is no redness, scaliness, or dirty-dusty-looking-ness.

From what I have heard, removing the incisors for maloccluded bunnies can really help. It does require more work with the veggies. However, like angieluv said, you want to do a full dental workup to make sure the back teeth are ok. In addition, if you are at all worried about his health (or age, if he's older), dental surgery can be very difficult for a rabbit to come through. It is extremely painful and the bunny does not want to eat following surgery due to mouth pain. This makes recovering from surgery very difficult because the most important part of surgery recovery is getting the GI system back up and running.

I would want the vet to do a full blood workup to evaluate how well he'll do under anesthesia, and a head x-ray to evaluate all of his teeth and tooth roots prior to surgery. Following surgery, you would need a strong pain medicine like tramadol or buprenex in addition to an anti-inflammatory like metacam.

You may also want the vet to do a careful tooth trim and try to control his tooth growth yourself over several weeks (by giving him lots of wood or wicker toys to chew on) to see if the malocclusion can be kept in check by non-surgical means.

Good luck!

Back