Moths in hay??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

In general I buy smaller bags of hay for Cocoa or a 6lb bunny bale at most. Cocoa is a small dwarf rabbit at only 2.5lbs so he doesn't go through hay as quickly as other rabbits probably do.

I know buying larger quantities of hay is more cost effective, so I recently purchased a big 9lb box of hay from Sweet Meadow Farm. I think I've had the hay a little over two months now. The hay came in a plastic bag stored inside of a box and I decided to keep it in there since I wasn't sure how else to store it. I keep the top of the box open and the bag as well so it's not completely closed up. The past few days I've noticed a few moths on the ceiling of the room that Cocoa's cage is in, and I quickly began to wonder if it had to do with the hay.

How can I tell if the moths are coming from the hay? I don't seem to see moths anywhere else in the house. Does this mean I will have to get rid of the whole box of hay? I would hate to do that because it cost about $20 with shipping and I haven't used much of it at all!

KimandCocoa wrote:
Hi everyone!

In general I buy smaller bags of hay for Cocoa or a 6lb bunny bale at most. Cocoa is a small dwarf rabbit at only 2.5lbs so he doesn't go through hay as quickly as other rabbits probably do.

I know buying larger quantities of hay is more cost effective, so I recently purchased a big 9lb box of hay from Sweet Meadow Farm. I think I've had the hay a little over two months now. The hay came in a plastic bag stored inside of a box and I decided to keep it in there since I wasn't sure how else to store it. I keep the top of the box open and the bag as well so it's not completely closed up. The past few days I've noticed a few moths on the ceiling of the room that Cocoa's cage is in, and I quickly began to wonder if it had to do with the hay.

How can I tell if the moths are coming from the hay? I don't seem to see moths anywhere else in the house. Does this mean I will have to get rid of the whole box of hay? I would hate to do that because it cost about $20 with shipping and I haven't used much of it at all!
if you can isolate the bug problem to the hay?-it is best to discard,,and with one little bun,,you are right,,-not cost effective to buy a bale,,because its always a good idea to serve fresh as possible.ie timothy/orchard grasses,,/.call sweet meadow farm-see if they have had a recall,,or other problems with the hay..sincerely james waller:wave::rose::bunnydance:

It has to be the hay. There are two more moths in Cocoa's room tonight, and I had killed the two that were in here last night! It's a shame to have to waste all this hay, but I guess I have no choice.

Latest posts

Back