Mother vs. Father?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
So my vet and I were talking about what breed Ivory was, and i told him that the pet store said dwarf (yea right, he's huuuuuuuuuge), but he said it was possible that Ivory was a dwarf mix with a lop. I don't remember exactly, but he said like 'maybe his mom was a dwarf and his dad a lop', i may have gotten them backwards. Anyway, if you know what breeds a rabbit is a mix of, is there a way to tell which one the mother is and which one the father is? Cuz it seems weird to say 'maybe his mother was this and father was this' as a generic guess, instead of just 'maybe he's a mix of this and that.'

just curious :)

It's possible to venture guesses if you already know what breeds the parents are. If the father is a lop and some babies have lopped ears, you would know that the father primarily contributed to that trait. Many color genes can also be traced to a particular parent.

We currently have over a dozen hybrid Dwarf Hotot x Mini Rex crosses from 4 litters. In many respects, they resemble Dwarf Hotots more at this point thanthe Mini Rex.
They all look more like Dwarf Hotots in body type (although not in color). They have short ears, Dwarf Hotot rollback coats and are all "screamers" - a behavioral trait that is far more common in Dwarf Hotots than in Mini Rex.

The Mini Rex father was very small and also carried the Dwarf gene, so the size on both parents was comparable.

Pam

What about, for example, I knew Ivory was a mix between a dwarf and a lop. Could one be able to tell if the mother was the dwarf and the father the lop, or if the mother was the lop and father the dwarf? Or is it a complete 50-50 guess which one's which?

Are you sure his parents are a dwarf and a lop?

He didnt get anything of a lop nor a dwarf. Although if one parent was a lop his ears should a least be wider if they stick up already. Lops and dwarfs usually have a stubby short body and a short head (excluding engl. lops)

Latest posts

Back