Mother died leaving 5 babies 3 weeks old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smay123

Reaction score
I have a litter of 5, 3 week old fuzzy lops and the mother just died. I don't know why, she was fine yesterday???? I have a holland lop with a littler of 3 that are 3 days older but am not sure she can handle an additional 5 babies. Am wondering what to do, should I bottle feed them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I've never had this happen before and I am lost.

Oh no, so sorry. :(

I think I'll transfer this to the Rabbitry. By now they should be eating some solid food, right? I'd keep hay, grass, pellets and water around.

I don't think they're in any immediate danger and I doubt they'll need bottle feeding, although maybe a little Pedialyte to make sure they don't get dehydrated, but don't take my word for that.

Having them with the other litter may be beneficial for the kits but probably not the mom, but we'll see what the breeders have to say.

sas :clover:

Thank you so much for your help. Yes they are showing interest in the pellets and the hay. I did put them in with the holland mommy and although she seems to be accepting them, I dont think she is very happy about it. They immediately tried to nurse from her and she sat still for a little bit but then had enough.

Having 5 babies there are 2 of them that are smaller and I am worried about them. They just seem lost and not sure what to make of all the changes.

Regarding the pedialite, should I try to syringe feed this to them or just mix it in with the water? I'm sure if mommy got some it would not be bad for her either correct?

I had the same thing happen a year ago. I kept plenty of hay, oatmeal and water in a crock for them. They were all OK.

Roger

Thank you roger for your post, that does make me feel better.

Do you think I should keep the kits on their own or should I leave them in with the holland lop mommy? That is a lot of babies for her and I dont want to stress her. Right now they all seem ok in the same cage but I want to do what is best for babies and momma.

How big is the Holland doe? How has she accepted them so far? If she is treating them like her own and she isn't tiny I would leave them with the Holland doe. If she is acting agressive to them then I would take them out. If you do leave them I would start pulling the larger ones starting at 5 weeks.

I have mini-rex does that have had 10 and raised them fine. I have a 4 lb Holland doe now that has 7 of her own and they are fat and sassy and so is she.

Good Luck

Bottle feeding isn't necessary. Mix some rolled oats in with the pellets and provide a tiny bit of grated carrot, apple, and greens. (Add veggies slowly to their diet)

i also wouldn't offer anything else but pellets and hay to them since they have gone through enough stress by losing their momma. You can also add probiotics to their water to aid with digestion. I would not give them any vegetables of any kind at that age. their little tummies wouldn't be able to handle them.

Thank you all sooo much for your help, I do appreciate all the helpful advice.

The holland lop mommy has accepted them just fine and not showing any aggression toward them at all. They are eating the pellets and hay and drinking water. The runt is a little pistol...I find him/her inside the top of the feeder eating, sitting on the top of the hay rack, and yesterday she was sitting in the middle of the water dish drinking....just adorable!!

Back