Moss killer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
Hello, hoping someone can help.

My two rabbits hop round our garden lose most days, helping themselves to whatever plants they like in the garden. However my dad wants to put moss killer on our lawn (he's a bit obsessed with the lawn!). Of course the rabbits hop on the lawn but more importantly they also eat it. On the packaging it doesn't say anything about being dangerous to mammals, but does mention fish.

My question is, how long after the moss killer has been put on the lawn, should I wait before letting the rabbits back on it?

My husband is always threatening to "fertilize" our lawn, I told him no freaking way, I don't want our dog or kids romping through chemicals. Your dad might be a harder sell but voice your concerns anyways, rabbits systems are very delicate. Can't he just pull up the moss and put mulch in it's place? Actually have him look on Etsy, there are "moss terrariums" that people make and sell and they go like hotcakes! ;)

They had a new turf laid after my old rabbits died and he's been precious about it ever since.

I totally agree with you, and don't think its a good idea. I think they would have to be off it for months and moths to allow the moss to die and to decay, and all the rest of the chemicals to eb washed away by the rain.

Its such a shame as the rabbits both love being out, they run round the garden and binky all the time.

The label would have you believe it's safe once the product dries but the fact that it turns moss black and kills it within hours I find rather scary! Yes, it is liquid iron that's killing it, which is why it would be harmful to fish but I am very wary of these products. They also say that Round Up(glyophosphate) is "safe" but there is plenty of research out now that says otherwise.

If your dad decides to spray it, I'd block off the area so your rabbits can't get near it for a couple of weeks or so.

I've had moss in my lawn before. I just dig it out and put some grass seeds down. Or it will fill in on its own after a couple of weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little jealous...I love moss...but I imagine it's like any chemical and needs to dry thoroughly before animals run across is.

Why not ask if you can mark or fence off an area for a bunny run and, that area will be left chemical free but, your dad can do as he likes with the whole rest of the yard. He gets to pick were the run will be.

Or...what about one of those octagon baby gates, you can move it around the yard [with bird netting across the top to keep them in] and this way you can move it every couple of days so your rabbit will have fresh grass and a new spot to explore?

The rabbits have two hutches that link with a big run inbetween. This where they spend overnight and the day when pim not around to let them out. However they love the garden, getting to actually run and exploring.

If he does go ahead, would a couple weeks be enough?

I'm sure it would...and if you let them out sooner, I'd just keep your eye on them and keep them away from where the herbicide was put down.

Bit hard to keep them away from the grass, seeing as our lawn is in the middle of the garden and they like to eat it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Glad its not months and just weeks. Still not happy about it, but least I know they can go back out in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back