Moss is sick, round two

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaiya

Allison
Reaction score
Earlier this year, Moss had a little bit of a tummy upset that I made a thread about. Now, the same thing is happening.

Symptoms: Staying in loafing position, nose not twitching unless I pet him (then it twitches three or four times), not eating pellets, hay, or drinking water, ears and eyes still looking perky.

To me it sounds like he's just got a bit of G.I. Stasis.

He didn't drink water all night, so this morning I brought him inside (from the cold weather) and syringed him some water. He accepted it, and started just licking it like a water bottle ( XD ). I put some hay in the cage with him, and a small bowl with water.

Should I syringe him some pellets (purée mush)? Do you think it would be safe for me to leave him here and go to school? Or would it be safer to stay here and keep an eye on him?

Two things I wanted to note - Moss is molting, so it's possible that he has a hairball. Also, I just bought a new bag of hay - same brand, same everything as what I usually feed them - but they don't seem to like it. Usually I would refill it once a day, but now it's more like once a week. I think the brand did something with the hay, and now the rabbits don't like it. Could the fact of not eating hay be a big part of it? Like if he really does have a hairball?

Thanks!

The reduced hay intake combined with his shedding has probably not helped the issue. He really does need the water and the fiber to help pass any blockages he may have. How long has it been since he last ate anything? He may pick up on his own with a bit of time, but he also may need the encouragement to eat and drink things.

If it has been more than 12 hours since your rabbit last ate, you really need to get him into the vet. Sometimes if you catch it early there are a few things you can try to get them eating again. But after so long of not eating, it really is critical to get the gut moving again. You'll want to take him in right away!

Hmm, I don't know what I can do. I just got to school (I'm on my iPad). I'll see if I can get my dad to wake up...

I really don't want him to die, I hope I can get him to the vet soon!

He hasn't drunk anything except for the water that I syringed to him. I'm not sure how much, but it wasn't very much.

I have an after school activity that I'll see if I can skip. That will get me to him an hour sooner. If he hasn't eaten or drunk, I'll force feed and see if I can get him to the vet.

I'm worried that the vets that we take the dogs to won't take rabbits. And if they do, if they have a rabbit savvy vet.

I came home to find that Moss had eaten his food, and he was hopping around and acting perky!

I'm guessing he just had gas - this morning his belly was firm and hard, when I came home, it was soft and squishy. Sounds like gas to me!

Do you have any simethicone? It might be handy to have some on hand for next time, as you can give it as a precaution as it's not harmful in any way. So glad to hear that Moss is doing better :)

I put it on my shopping list. This is way over due, but I'm going to put together a rabbit first aid kit. I'll have to find that link that someone gave me a while ago...

Thanks everyone for your concern and quick responses! Thanks for all of your help!

Latest posts

Back