Mosquitos

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireTH04

Reaction score
My rabbits are in a cage,outside,behind our house, sort of in the woods. Last time I cleaned theircages, I basically got attacked by mosquitos. I got about six giant bugbites, and I'm afraid that they're biting my rabbits too, because as Isaid in a old thread my one rabbit was loosing alot of fur in oddplaces. Is this possible, will it cause anything seriously, and how canI cut down on the mosquitos (other than cleaning their cages more oftenthan I already do?

Thanks for ur time and help:D

You know, I was wondering about that too. I don'tknow about buns and mosquitoes. I will try to do someresearch and let you know if I find out anything interesting.

MYXOMATOSIS - Carried by mosquitos. Covercages with gauze wire to prevent infection. The symptoms are a softswelling in the region around the eyes, base of the ears and sometimeselsewhere on the body. There may be discharge from the eyes and nose.Infected animals should be painlessly destroyed by a veterinary surgeonas recovery is extremely rare.

Also here is a website about the vaccination for rabbits so thatrabbits can't get the illness from the mosquitos:http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/news/rabbit_disease.htm

Mosquitoes will bitebuns, although sometimes thick coats ofsomebreeds will make it difficult. It is only thefemale that sucks blood, which they need in order to produceeggs. Males eat juices from plants.

Mosquitoes can be reduced by eliminating all standing water from yourlocale, and it doesn't take much for them to breed, old tire, tin can,hollow in a tree, etc. Keeping your grass cut short helps,too, for that is where they often attach themselves to duringthe day. Local mosquito commissions used to eradicate them byspraying DDT and or kerosene, with an extreme negative impact on thefood chain and environment. Is no longer a viable solution.

Encouraging bats on your property by building a bat house is verylikely to help, as well. Mosquitoes home on the breathe oftheir hosts, much like a heat seeking anti-aircraft missile.That is why they oftenbuzz around our heads while we are inbed.

Danger nowadays is of transmitting West Nile Fever to man and animal alike.That's the extent of my mosquito knowledge.

Buck

WNV information.

[align=center]******************************************[/align]
Protecting Your Pet Against West Nile Virus

[align=left]Humans aren't the only ones who can get West Nile virus(WNV). The virus is a threat to some animals, too, especially to wildbirds and horses. About 40 percent of the horses that developedencephalitis (brain inflammation) from WNV died during the 1999outbreak that originated in the New York City area. A USDA-licensedequine vaccine for WNV is now available through veterinarians.

WNV has been shown to infect dogs, cats, bats, chipmunks, skunks,squirrels, and domestic birds and rabbits. The virus has rarely causedillnesses in these animals.

Pet owners should not use human repellents that contain DEET onanimals. Some animals are more sensitive than people to directapplication of DEET products, making their use potentially harmful.Check with your veterinarian for the appropriate products to protectyour pet. Also contact your veterinarian if your pet shows signs of WNVinfection, such as fever, depression, lack of coordination, muscleweakness or spasms, or seizures or paralysis.[/align]
[align=center]
******************************************[/align]

Thanks so much forthe information you all. I suppose I've been so involved withmy own health issues from my case of West Nile that I just never tookthe time to learn how it could effect animals. I've thought about it atime or two since we got Sebastian, but hadn't researched ityet. Now you've done it for me!

Ooh!Thanksfor the info. I've been curious about WNV and rabbits, seeingas I live in Northern CA, and when I worked at Carl's Jr over thesummer, I found (cleaning the parking lot) two birds dead fromit. I picked up a packet from the pharmacy about it, but itonly talked about the threat to humans, cats, dogs, birds, andhorses. Which was kinda annoying... Luckily, I havesome new house spiders living in the corners of my room.Catch those mosquitoes spiders!!

ClaireTH04 wrote:
My rabbits are in a cage,outside, behind ourhouse, sort of in the woods. Last time I cleaned their cages, Ibasically got attacked by mosquitos. I got about six giant bug bites,and I'm afraid that they're biting my rabbits too, because as I said ina old thread my one rabbit was loosing alot of fur in odd places. Isthis possible, will it cause anything seriously, and how can I cut downon the mosquitos (other than cleaning their cages more often than Ialready do?

Thanks for ur time and help:D

You could also a mesquito netting. It's fairly cheap and extremely effective.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back