More wool block preventatives?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoragrl

Reaction score
Ok, we have poops from Lilly. . . . . only thing is they look like this

DSC01840.jpg

Not good I know. She has been eating tons of hay so hopefully that will help. An angora breeder that I contacted suggested starting her on calf manna, apparently it will help both with putting some weight on her and with the wool block issues. Do any of you guys have experience with this? I would call and ask their vet about it but when I was there yesterday she did warn me that she would not be there today, someone else would be filling in. That being said, I'm sure the other vet is great but I figured I would just ask you guys about it.

Hi,

There is absolutely no possibility that even one pellet of that stuff would be offered to one of my rabbits. Far too much protein. Arabbit's gut can't properly handle that type of carbohydrates. Your rabbit needs fiber and hydration.

The term "wool block" doesn't really apply to rabbits. Rabbits rarely get true hairballs like dogs and cats. The impactions in a rabbit are caused by a combination of deydration, undigested food, fur and mucus. Your rabbit has given you a "string of pearls". We see this often in molting rabbits. It is important that you make sure they are receiving unlimited amounts of grass hay (as she should be getting anyway). Keep her hydrated....make sure she is drinking properly. Green leafy veggies such as romaine lettuce also help with hydration (greens should be offered in moderation). Keep her brushed as much as possible especially during molts. And keep her moving around as much as possible. Running around and playing will help keep the gut moving along. Hay and hydration....hay and hydration.....and so on.

You are very correct in being concerned. Should this increase in scope, the coming impactions will draw additional hydration from the intestinal tract and stasis will result. I have seen a lot worse than those. I will bet a few leaves of romaine will help this situation immensely without compromising the overall gut.

Randy

I agree with Randy. High protein pellets do nothing to treat or prevent"wool block" (although they can aid in wool production - but I'm assuming your rabbit is not being used for breeding or wool production).Stasis is generally secondary to other health problems rather than being due to wool ingestion.

The poops you are seeing are GOOD!!!!! They indicate that the hair being shed is passing through the digestive system.

Keep up the hay. As Randy suggested, greens help to hydrate the digestive system. Exercise also promotes good GI health.

Avoid overfeeding, and keep wool trimmed to avoid excessive woolingestion.

Also, don't waste money on enzyme products, which do nothing to help wool "digest" or break down.

Pam

Pam and Randy- FYI Lilly is a recently rescued English Angora, so she is indeed producing a fair amount of wool.;)

Although I'd wait until after she adjusts to her new healthy food before adding anything like Calf Manna. I've found that rescued rabbits that are skinny or unhealthy usually just need a basic balanced diet to recover and thrive.

I have one suggestion to add- canned pumpkin! I feed it to my rabbits as a treat and/or when they are molting. All but Oberon love it. It has fluids and some fiber and it really seems to make my rabbits feel more comfortable during molting. If they are getting tiny poops or lots of chunky-looking (minor blockage) strings of pearls, the pumpkin usually clears it right up. Buy the 100% pure pumpkin, not the spiced pie stuff, and feed a few tablespoons a day.

Another option is to give her a second water bowl (or a bowl instead of a bottle- they often drink more from bowls) and flavor it with just a little flavored Pedialyte or no sugar added fruit juice.

Sorry, should have went into more detail on that post about Lilly's history. . . as naturestee said, she is an English angora and I actually just got her yesterday. Her previous owners did not know how to properly care for her and she isn't in the best of shape. She's currently molting and she is really matted. I already cut out a lot of the mattes and I trimmed her hair down all over so there won't be as much fur for her to ingest. . . . That being said, she was also not offered hay at her last home. She now has unlimited hay and that is pretty much all she's been eating (she was on junk pellets and is pretty much avoiding her new pellets right now but Acorn did the same thing so that doesn't worry me).

I didn't realize that romaine would help out, thanks for the tip, I actually have some growing at my house so I went down and cut her a few leaves which she is happily chomping away at right now. :)

Pam, am I misunderstanding what calf manna is? I thought that it was something that you add to their pellets (in small amounts) rather then a pellet replacement.

Naturestee, thanks for the canned pumpkin tip! I know have read that one before but I never would have thought about it until you reminded me.

She does have a bowl not a bottle already but I will get her another one too. She had knocked the one I gave her over while I was at work too so I can see I need to get a heavier bowl for my girl.

angoragrl wrote:
Pam, am I misunderstanding what calf manna is? I thought that it was something that you add to their pellets (in small amounts) rather then a pellet replacement.

Calf Manna is a very high protein "milk" pellet for young calves.

Some Angora breeders add a little Calf Manna to the regular dietfor long coat growth and maintenance, but too much protein can result in poor condition and continual molt (as well as very stinky droppings!) Excessive protein can also be harmful to the kidneys. A better way to add weight is to add steam rolled oats to the diet - however, since so much energy goes towards coat growth, angoras often lack in flesh.

A pet Angora with a cut coat does not need additional protein in its diet.

Pam

Latest posts

Back