More "Wee" Problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
I've had it! Ugh! Toby keeps wee'ing on everything! I don't know what to do anymore! He was doing so well not to long ago! What happened?

:surrender

I have had to change my sheets almost constantly this week! Will and I changed out our sheets (routine sheet-changing) and Toby promptly left a little puddle on the sheets. On Monday, I just finished up the laundry, and he peed on the sheets (luckily, I just finished putting away the sheets, so I had a spare). That was just the fitted sheet, luckily. I re-washed it on Tuesday when I went to the laundromat to wash BOTH of my quilts that he peed on (the other one has been soiled for awhile - I don't live close to the laundromat). On Wednesday, not much to report. He left a *tiny* spot, so I just spot-cleaned the area thoroughly. This morning (Thursday) he peed on the quilt when I got up to go to the bathroom. I left him in the room with Will, and specifically told Will to watch out. Will was petting him, and he peed! I quickly went and washed the quilt. It had soaked through to the top sheet, so we just threw that in the laundry and put the spare one on (I only have two sets of sheets). I put the flannel "pee-guard" blanket over the sheets and leave the room to talk to Will about something. I come back, Toby had dug the blanket out of the way, and was sitting on the bed. I put him on the floor and told him "NO". He sometimes understands... Then, I came back later, and he had pooped on the blanket, moved it, then peed on the fitted sheet. We had to change it... AGAIN!

:cry2 All in all, this week alone has had...
- two accidents on the quilt
- two moistened top sheets
- three "marked" fitted sheets

Will has HAD it. He yelled at me this morning about Toby and him peeing on everything. I'm so upset right now. I feel like I am working on another stomach ulcer... :bawl:

:banghead

Why is he doing this? He has peed on the bed before, but it is normally very rare! I don't know what to do about this. If I move his footstool so he can't jump on it to get to the bed, he jumps right up on the bed. This bed consists of the frame, a box spring, AND the mattress! It's a tall bed, but he gets up there anyway! Without the footstool, he has to jump to the floor from the bed. I don't want him getting hurt! He's not even four years old, so I doubt he's losing bladder control...

I don't know what to do! Help!?

:pullhair:

I would get a high dogpuppy fence and surround the bed or keep him out of the bedroom.

They do like to pee on beds that's why mine are never on them...

if he continues to pee in other spots that are not usual I would have him checked out for a UTI

Yup, they do like beds, and it has now become a habit for him, and you need to break him of that. Keeping him off the bed is the best solution. I use, like angieluv suggested, a puppypen and it works really well, the only ones who go on the bed are those who can be trusted.

Puppy pen? Like, around the bed? I don't know if we could find one high/long enough. Toby can't be kept out of the bedroom. It's the only bunny proofed room in the house, and that's where he lives. His hutch is in our bedroom.

Like it or not he may have to be caged 24/7 unless out for just supervised play and limited.If he lifts his tail into the litterpan, any hints of pee into the litterpan.If he jumps on the bed, be taken off ASAP.

Would he do it if he's mad? I was thinking about it, and he normally does it when I:
(A) Sleep in
(B) Am being slow giving him his food

Would he pee on "my" things if he's angry with me not getting his food to him on time?

kherrmann3 wrote:
Would he do it if he's mad? I was thinking about it, and he normally does it when I:
(A) Sleep in

Would he pee on "my" things if he's angry with me not getting his food to him on time?

Possible Sam used to pee in her food dish.

I'm pretty confident you'd be able to bunny-proof a different room :). After Slatey wee'd on Nate's pillow, he wasn't in the bedroom for over a year. I try really hard not to push my luck with my bf... he's not a rabbit guy, but he's very tolerant.

To a point...;)

There is now an arctic fleece style blanket (kind of like those semi-plastic hotel coverlets for warmth-- probably the same as your flannel) that I use for the buns. Urine doesn't saturate through it very quickly, and I can easily spot clean it without tearing it off my bed/couch at that exact minute.

I can't keep up with their unpredictability, so they are on hardwood floor now with some expendable rugs.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
I'm pretty confident you'd be able to bunny-proof a different room :). After Slatey wee'd on Nate's pillow, he wasn't in the bedroom for over a year. I try really hard not to push my luck with my bf... he's not a rabbit guy, but he's very tolerant.
Will, the boyfriend, isn't so tolerant with the rabbits. Plus, we have a roommate, and he pays equal rent, blah blah blah, so we have to agree on crap. I think it's silly, since everything in the apartment is mine, anyways lol

Tony, who is pretty good about not peeing on stuff - peed on the sofa yesterday.

I feel your pain.

Can you limit where he can play?

He's "limited" to the bedroom. He occasionally escapes down the hall and into the dining room. Sometimes, I will let him play in the living room w/ supervision.

He is being very, very good this morning. I fed him ASAP when I got up and let him out of his hutch. No messes, no attitude, just me cuddlebun that I remember. Right now, he is huddled up on the bed on my left and tooth-purring. I'm just scritching his head and he's in heaven.

Yesterday, he was locked up for most of the day. I think he started stasis, 'cause he went on a hunger strike from 10 AM to 9 PM. Not a single poop, either (VERY unlike Toby). I let him out around 9 to hope around the living room, and he pooped everywhere. He had this sad, apologetic look. The poops were really big, too, like they had been blocked up? This happens when he is not allowed to run around and get his little intestines a'goin'.

So far, though, so good. It took him about 10 minutes to make his way up to the bed. Normally, that's his first place. Maybe he learned his lesson from being caged all day?

Maybe.

:?

I think what Will and I might do is invest in a tent-like pole to hold that quilt up while we are gone. Toby couldn't jump up onto the bed, and it would be easier to store than a fence.

EDIT: Just after clicking "send" I realized "naughty" that sounded! Please don't take it the wrong way!
:laugh:

:shock:Intresting.:p

I don't remember which dog we had to do that for (Suzie (Poodle), Eppy (Westie-poo), Bridget, Jenny, or Brody (Westies). We needed to air out the quilt on my mum and dad's king size bed once (post-washing) and we needed to keep the dogs off (I am pretty sure now that it was Bridgy and Jenny). We invested in some wooden dowels and rubber feet (like the ones on shower curtains) and stuck them under the quilt to let the air under and the dogs off. It worked, to say the least. It also surprised the heck out of the phone repair man when he needed to come into mum's bedroom to fix her phone jack (once again, sounds naughty, but isn't!)

Yeah... My Ritalin just kicked in, so I get super-talkative and I get weird ideas (which usually work)! Yesterday, my idea was to line the wild-bird-seed-can with chicken wire instead of surrounding it with the wire. It is easier to do than make a fence of it! Also, I take "Methylphenidate", which is Ritalin, but it's generic. Will reminds me (loudly, while in public) to take my "meth". What a sweetheart! :hearts:

:biggrin2:

EDIT: Speaking of Ritalin/odd ideas, how do you think I came up with the "Crunchberry Wrist-rocket" theorem?

kherrmann3 wrote:
(A) Sleep in

Yes, they use their urine to show disgust, so he is probably disgusted at you.

One day when me and Flash had arrived home he lept in his litter tray but there was nothing in it so I lifted him out and put in a newspaper, but he legged it across the room, up the stairs, along the landing, into my room, jumped on my bed and weed. Then sat next to it and waited for me. They definitely use it to show you they are not impressed.

I used a puppy pen to block off the bed in my room. It means they can have a space to run and also a space that they can't go in, that's all (and that's in a room that is not big).

Rabbits generally don't jump up and over and down, they leap up to things and down to things, so if you place it far enough away from the bed he probably won't try to get over it.

Will already nixed the pen idea due to lack of space :( Not to mention, Toby likes to hide/sleep under our bed. He has cardboard shelves in our box spring that he hides on. He has been WONDERFUL this morning. I let him out, he went right to his litter pan, then up onto the bed for head scratchies. He came up and groomed my nose, too. I might just start having Will feed him in the mornings (Will leaves for work between 5:30AM and 7:30AM (he works 6:00 AM - 2:00 PM or 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM shifts). I normally get up around 8:00 AM (medicine time!). Sometimes, I guess waiting is too hard for Toby. :( Maybe Will will listen to me, this time :p

I don't mind cleaning the sheets, it's easy enough. I just don't want to tick-off my little fur-baby.

This might be obvious, (but I slapped my forehead and said "duh" when I heard it!) Hershey would periodically start peeing in "bad" places instead of his litter box. Then he would go through a streak of being real good, then stop using the little box again. I mentioned this to the guy I work with.

He said "Well, I don't know about rabbits, but when the litter box doesn't get changed as often as the cats think it should, they start peeing in other places."

I really didn't think the litter box looked bad, but I changed it, and sure enough! Hershey started using it again! I guess he hashigher standard than I do!

Inother cases, I would think it could be other things as well, like a different kind of litter, too much litter, to little, etc. Try experimenting.

I don't know if it would be that... It makes sense, but I am religious about keeping the pans clean. He has two of them, and they are cleaned every evening/morning. Sometimes I clean them twice a day. One litter pan is cleaned in the evening (the one outside his cage) and the other in the morning (the one in the cage). He always has a clean box (clean one every 12 hours, approx.) I will just have to keep an eye on it...

Latest posts

Back