more than one bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy052104

Reaction score
I've read that if you have more than one bunthey will bond more with each other than with thier owners. I want toget another bunny but I'm afraid this will happen. I hatedays when both my husband and I have long work days and Hollydoesn't get the companionship that I feel she needs. This is one of themain reasons i want another bunny. Does anyone have any suggestions orexperiences they can share with me regarding this? I'd love as manyopinions as I can get.

I have two buns, living together, and they bondperfectly fine with eachother and me. They'll both come over tome and try to get on my lap at the same time, and never ignore me. Ifyou do get another one, don't worry about them loving eachother morethan they love you, because they'll like the different sorts ofattention.:)

I adopted a mother-son pair of bunnies (Amberand Devon). Naturally, they are very close. But they are also veryclose to me and my other human family members. Amber loves to becuddled, and Devon is always kissing people. They even run towards uswhen we come into a room. I think keeping bunnies together is a greatidea; I like knowing that they are never really alone.

I have two pairs of bunnies, and they're allaffectionate with me in their own way. Mocha needed me lessafter she was bonded, but she's so darn needy that it's almost cruelkeeping her alone. Her boyfriend Loki loves human attentionand fusses if he doesn't get petted enough. The other two aresisters that were separated for a few months. Fey loves mewhether or not she's bonded with her sister. Same withSprite, although she hates to be touched so we have a different sort ofconnection.

I love watching my bunnies together. They're so happy whenthey have friends. Like I said before, Mocha isheart-breakingly needy when she's alone, and Fey and Sprite were lonelyand stressed when they were separated. Loki was okay on hisown before he was with Mocha, but if something happened to her I don'tthink he'd be okay on his own anymore. He just didn't knowwhat another bunny could do for him before he bonded with Mocha.

You've made me want anothernow:cry2and jonathan says I'm not allowed. Cos he wants a Dogand its his turn. Porb is we can't afford a dog.

Lis wrote:
You've made me want another now:cry2and jonathansays I'm not allowed. Cos he wants a Dog and its his turn.Porb is we can't afford a dog.
We can't have a dog, buteventually we'll havea house where we can get one. Ourbiggest concern with getting another bun would be she wouldn't wantanything to do with us. I'm feeling like it wouldn't harm at all if wegot another one. I'm all for it. I just have to convince my husband now.

One more question that ties with the mainone...Is it better to get a male or female to bond with Holly when (ifmy husband will let us) get another bunny? (She's almost one year oldand was spayed in Feb. 2006)

I would have thought she would like a man in her life:D

I have two buns one is 3yrs old and the other isabout 2 1/2 mo old males.......the other day i let them outtogether the lil one runs tocuddles and cuddles hops awayfrom him...untill they both met up face to face and cuddles went afterthe baby then i scooped the baby up and cuddles ran after me! I usallyput the baby in a play pen area so cuddles can kinda have access to himbut protected through bars....Anyway they both are not fixed would thatmake a differnce in there meeting??? Would cuddles be less aggressive??He is perfect with me cuddles, its just when the baby is around.

Fixing can make a world of difference.So can neutral territory. They need to meet in a place whereneither has been before, otherwise each one tends to think that theother is an invader that has to be attacked. Check out thebonding thread in Bunny 101. There's lots of great info onhow to bond rabbits there.

I'm extremely hesitant about bonding a babyrabbit to an adult because of some horror stories and my personalexperience. When (and if) the baby reaches the teen stage, which mostrabbits will hit, the adult rabbit may be challenged for dominence andyou could be in for trouble.

Someone I know bonded a baby rabbit to their adult and she came homeone day months after bonding them together to find that the younger onehad challenged for dominence and both were badly hurt. One had piecesof her tail and ears missing and the other had cuts on his body.

I also had 2 rabbits bonded from about 4 months of age until about 10months. Both were fixed but one day out of the blue they startedfighting in their hutch. They both escaped harm only because I happenedto have the day off from school and separated them immediately but hadI been at school, I would have hated to know what I'd have found when Icame home.

I'm not saying don't bond a rabbits at an early age, just do not housethem together or let them out together unsupervised until at least ayear. After a year, the chance of the teen years being an issue is slimsince most would have hit it already.

Also remember that an adult may get along with a baby but when thatbaby grows up, the adult may have serious issues with the other rabbitor the young one may have serious issues with an older rabbit.

Some rabbits are also very anti-social when it comes to other rabbits.One of my males is simply unbondable. I've had about 5 other rabbitsaround him and all of them he tries to kill. He hates other rabbits,young or old, male or female. I've even been attack by him just forsmelling like another rabbit (he's normally a very docile animal).

But I did get a baby last summer and she and my other male are to bebonded soon now that she's almost a year old and both are fixed.

Just keep in mind that instead of getting that match made in heavenlike you dream of, you may get a pair of mortal enemies that have to behoused separately and then you have less individual time for each.That's why I suggest adopting an older rabbit and taking your rabbit tovisit them to see how they react.

Now that I've made all the bad points very clear, there are just asmany good points. A pair is fun to watch and often their interactionwith you will not change.

If your originial rabbit is fine with you, chances are that will notchange for the most part. If you're concerned about how the new rabbitwill behave with you, I'd suggest taking a month before attempting tobond the rabbits and use that time to bond with the new one. I've hadmy doe for 6.5 months and I've spent hours handling her and socializingher to make sure she's ok with me before I bond her to my male becauseit's a lot harder to bond to it once it's in a pair.

But good luck and I hope you find a good rabbit to bond her to!

txs for your advise...i never put them togetherthey have there own seperate homes and the problem is i live in a smallranch so cuddles has been all over this house so its pretty much hislol....ill wait a few more months tohave them "meet" eachother again. I only one time had them both out at the same time andthat didnt go so well the baby didnt get hurt but id hate to havesomething happen to him...i have the baby in a play pen area andcuddles runs around rubs his chin on the bars they sniff noses thencuddles runs off lol.....thanks again!

Back