More questions?????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesliedave4k

Reaction score
Should the babies be very wriggly? They are very active and one in particular is constantly moving? Should I be concerned? Also, because we had no warning about the pregnancy, we made her nesting box out of cardboard. Should I change this?

Thank you,

Leslie

Wriggly is good and normal I would say. I am no expert but have had two litters this year. Both lots were very wriggly and even make little noises every now and then. They would 'pop' around the nest like popcorn as they got older too.

My girls nest had cardboard in it also and I just removed it and replaced it when the babies were around a week old. Also I removed any damp hay but tried to keep as much of the fur as possible.

How are you doing? How's the mum bunny?

From what I've read, that sounds healthy. :) As long as they're not making 'in distress' type noises, they're probably fine. They can wiggle their way right out of the nest box, though, you have to check on them daily and plop them back in if need be.

You have to balance the wriggly anticswith the danger in having the edges TOO high wherethe mom may injure the kits if she has to jump in blind.

And as above, a cardboard box is fine, you just have to replace it when it gets yucky.

You've probably seen these, but there's a few articles in Bunny 101:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12047&forum_id=17

I just addedanother good article on baby bunnies:

http://www.hrschicago.org/newbabyfr.html

Good luck with them all!

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Minilops, I'm doing a lot better. I'm calmer and glad that her labor is over. Speedy, mama bunny, is eating, drinking and resting. Should I still let her out for her normal activity, or should I let her rest in her cage for a couple of days. She seems a little antsy at times. Papa bunny, Pebbles, is as happy as a clam. He's in his NIC cage and by himself, he is a very clean and tidy bunny. Completely uses the litter box. Now I know who the messy rabbit is!! LOL!!

Thank you both for the great answers. I just want these little ones to survive and have good lives. My brother and his wife have already agreed to take one and I'm so happy about that. We will keep one and now we just have to find a home for one more!!!! I will post pics tomorrow. I don't even know what kind of rabbits I have, I bought them because they were super friendly and cute!! LOL

Leslie

It IS really shocking when suddenly your bunny has babies.

At the beggining of the year I rescued two lop eared rabbits from around the corner who weren't being treated very nicely. Both had seperate cages, and I was told both had never had any contact. So about a month after I get them I'm going out to feed them, and the girl (Dodge) has blood on her chin, and I'm getting all upset and crying. Wondering what's wrong with her, checking her for wounds etc. That's when I notice a small blob of something bloody in the hutch near her 'box' end...I out my hand into the hay in her bed and it's all full of fur and something wriggles and it's warm! Oh babies! What a surprise! She had four healthy kits and was a perfect mama.

So...the last kit leaves at 10 weeks old and once again...one month later...she has babies! I'm like "how the hell did that happen?" I assume the male that I rescued at the time had gotten at her through the cage somehow as he would escape from his hutch very easily. I felt really iresponsible and dumb and the male has since died (of unkown causes).

She had seven babies and they are now 6 weeks old and as healthy and happy as can be. I never did anything special for them, just checked to see that they were being fed and things like that and the mama took care of the rest.

I didn't let her out for her normal activity for two days after this last lot were born. She was reluctant to leave the cage anyway.

Good luck!

:D Got any pics of you bubs yet? I love babies!

_________
Nadia

Back