more nipping after getting spayed :,(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vona

Reaction score
So I got my bunny spayed on January 28, she's always been such a sweet bunny ever since I got she barely ever nipped and it was only very little. Now she nips you so much more and it actually hurts. Half the time I'm sure I know why she either wants to be pet or were in the way of course... But even if I do what she wants she continues.... So I'm just wondering is this her hormones cycling out or is this new behavior permanent? Please help :( I want my sweetie back!

Her hormones can take up to 2 months or something to dissipate altogether. The nipping isn't necessarily a bad thing just try to divert her attention. My female nipped me so hard 2 days ago it left a huge bruise under my shirt but all she wanted was some pets and attention from her slave so I can't blame her for that :p

I remember reading something that told me to just push her head down but she either just sits other or pushes back at me....and its not really the fact that she nips cause I know she's a bunny that's how she communicates its just that she like all of a sudden nips wayyyy more than she ever has before. I was thinking about trying a spray bottle but I'm not sure.

she needs to learn that nipping is unacceptable behaviour. If she does it, I'd put her down on the ground or in her cage and very deliberately turn your back on her. Rabbits have lots of ways to communicate, nipping does NOT need to be one of them. You may find this site helpful. http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

rabbits can learn that certain behaviours are unacceptable yes. how quickly she learns is up to you and her. :)

Consider this.. in the wild animals (some of which are now domesticated) have certain ways in which they act. For instance....many dogs at heart are wolves...And where in the wild wolves will nip and bounce around with each other such behaviour with people is discouraged.

So... just because a rabbit might, in the wild use tooth and claw to assert their own way, that's not acceptable with people. Time and patience tends to solve most issues.

you will need to determine what predicates the behaviour and then nip that predication in the bud.

Is she wanting attention?
Does she want down?
Is she saying get out of my face?
Is she saying MOVE I want you out of my way?
Is she saying HEY! you have greens! I Want some too?
Is she saying Come with me, I've something to show you.
Is she saying I DO NOT like that perfume that you are wearing?

You need to determine who will be "boss" and who has the say so.
And then determine what methodologies work for you in curbing/retraining unwanted and unwarranted behaviours.

Last edited:
Okie dokie... I've noticed that Pepper is a very stubborn bunny so I guess I've got to just keep working with her...sometimes it seems as though she nips for no reason what so ever I'll pay more attention to see what it is she wants. Typically though I'm sure she just wants her Lovings. Thanks for the help!!!!:)

You can definitely train rabbits out of nipping. What worked for me was a high pitched scream whenever my rabbit would bite me which would let him know that it hurt and startle him enough to stop him at the same time.

Yeah sometimes I remember to make a high pitched noise or I say "no bite Pepper" kinda loudish but more in a way different tone then I use when I'm petting her and such. She usually stops and sits there like "well that was uncalled for" it makes her stop while she's doing it but it doesn't seem to prevent it from happening again or seem to lessen the behavior. I guess she could just be extremely stubborn. It just seemed as though it occurred more frequently than normal after she got spayed. Is she mad that I put her thru that or is it just the hormones kinda kicking up as they dissipate?

It just seemed as though it occurred more frequently than normal after she got spayed. Is she mad that I put her thru that or is it just the hormones kinda kicking up as they dissipate?

I had a female that became more aggressive after spaying, just as you describe: nipping every now and then, sometimes for no obvious reason, but sometimes while I was grooming her (she was angora) which she clearly hated. So it was a permanent change in her behavior, and I thought it was more related to maturing (she was not quite an adult when I had her spayed) and developing her adult temperament.

It didn't really bother me, I Just wore protective clothing while grooming, and didn't handle her all that much when I was not grooming her. My rabbits live outside and have a lot of space, and seem to value that freedom more than human contact, so I accept it and let them be rabbits with whatever personalities they have.

she still craves for our attention, she actually can tell when someones coming up the stairs and will wait by the door to see who it is and waits to get lovins, that's why I thought it was starnge because shes still the same old Pepper she just nips way more. Shes a very confusing little thing... shes soo small yet has such a big attitude! although I will say from being more persistent with eeping and ignoring her when she displays such behavior, she making progress still nips more than normal but we are definitely getting somewhere now. :)

Latest posts

Back