More genetics stuff

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelanatty

Natty Dwarfs Rabbitry
Reaction score
Yesterday I read that the seal color in a rabbit is caused by a double C[suP]chl[/suP] gene. So if that is true, then what makes Siamese Sable? Is Siamese Sable just another version of non-extension? or is it possibly a combination of the two?

Also another non-extension question about steels. I just happen to like silver tipped steels a whole lot better than gold tipped steels, and was wondering how they are made, because I have never seen one in ND's. I have this crazy idea that if you breed a chinchilla to a steel, it could make silver tipped steels. Would that work?

Thanks.

LOL.

Siamese sable:
aa B- cchl(ch OR c) D- E-
As you can see, they're a full extension color.

Seal:
aa B- cchlccchl D- E-
Another full extension color. =D

Sable Point:
aa B- cchl(ch or c) D- ee
Sable Point is a "non extended" siamese sable. Think of it as taking away all the body color, so the color isn't "expanded"

Seal Point (showable as sable point):
aa B- cchlccchl D- ee
A "non extended" seal. They're generally smuttier; but with so little points on color it doesn't usually matter too much. Some of the best SPs I've seen were genetically Seal points.

I'll look into the steel stuff for you.

Oh, I see, thank you very much Megan! I thought you would be the one to reply to this. So basically only sable point and tort (and variations thereof) are non-extenson colors? Err, and steel XD

Orange and Fawn are non-extension too. It pops up in random places, tbh.

And yes, I forgot about Tort. LOL. But obviously tort is genetically a self, rather than shaded. =D

XD And yes. Of course I'm the one responding. LOL. I looooove my shadeds.

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
Orange and Fawn are non-extension too. It pops up in random places, tbh.

And yes, I forgot about Tort. LOL. But obviously tort is genetically a self, rather than shaded. =D

XD And yes. Of course I'm the one responding. LOL. I looooove my shadeds.

XD

Oh haha I feel stupid now. I just realized that sable point would be a non-extension sable since you said tort is a non-extension self.

Orange and fawn, of course. I won't be fooling with those any time in the near future.

Any cchd (chin)or cchl (shaded) with the steel chin would be silver tipped - so yes, chin + steel = black silver tipped steel.

pamnock wrote:
Any cchd (chin)or cchl (shaded) with the steel chin would be silver tipped - so yes, chin + steel = black silver tipped steel.
YAY!! :biggrin2::biggrin::biggrin2::biggrin::biggrin2::biggrin:

Reds are non extension also, they just have more rufus than oranges, which they are the same genetically as. Frostys/Frosted Pearls are non-extension, they are non-extension chinchillas.Then there are blue points/pearl points which are dilute sable points. Oh and there are non-extension himis/pointed whites which most of the time are passed off as poorly colored himis.

I think that covers all the non extension colors with what others have said..

Thanks, leo9lionheads, I kinda forgot about reds too. You really don't see them very much, though I did have one once.

Now that we've dug up this thread again, here's another question.

Breeding an otter to a chinchilla. You should get silver martens right? And since the otters can't carry agouti, as we where talking about in my other thread, you wuldan't have to worry about getting a chinchilla out of two silver martens that have chinchilla in their background right?

pamnock wrote:
You got it!

Yay! This is going to be my next project. I am so tired of the C[suP]chl[/suP] gene messing up my silver martens. I keep getting seals out of them. All I have to do is find good chinchilla stock that doesn't carry C[suP]chl[/suP] and of course there is plenty of good otter stock to go from.

Thanks Pam! :)

Back