More Basic Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheetos mom

Reaction score
Can siblings from the same litter look completely different and altogether different breeds?

When do the teenage "years" kick in? Are buns always destined for a change in disposition?

How old are they when they testicles drop? And, are they always real visible?

Has anyone ever encountered a male that didn't spray?

(My Don Cheeto escaped the other day and the previous owner's dogattempted to herd him back to our patio. I suspect she nipped at him.)If a patch of fur is missing, there is no injury to the skin, but it isa real clear patch, will the fur grow back?

Naturestee says that buns' testicles becomerather apparent at 2.5 months, depending on the breed. Is it later forsmaller breeds, or bigger? I'm starting to think Don Cheeto, might beDawn Cheeto?!

my male never sprayed, never had readily visibletesticles (keep in mind they can pull them close to the body), and wasneutered around 3.5 months.. but he's a mini rex..

i guess he hit the 'teenage' phase around 5-6 months.. after thefixing.. he's still a goober, but much less nippy :) (unlesshe wants something lol)

I'm attaching pictures of GingerSpice (tort) andSugarBear (Sablepoint(cream))....along with a picture of their brotherat a younger age. As you can tell, they do not look alikealthough they are all lionhead siblings from the same litter.

GingerSpice has the traditional lionhead look w/ her mane, etc. as doesher brother that I didn't purchase. SugarBear has what issometimes called the "teddy bear" look with long wooly fur allover...he isn't showable because of that.

The only way I think a doe could have a litter with two types of breedswould be if she mated with two different bucks (of differentbreeds). I'm sure its possible but not recommended.

And as far as testicles descending - I'm thinking that the larger therabbit - the longer it might take - but I'm not sure about that.

Here are the pics:

GingerSpice & SugarBear

GingerSpice is far more outgoing than Sugar - but she was still new to us and shy here...

This is their brother at a younger age.

Peg

The pictures are clickable!

Spiced 77, thanks. I forgot that I read thatthey can pull their testicles in real tight. I guess I am gonna have towait until I take him / her to the vet to confirm it. At first, Ithought my Cheeto was a "she", then a "he", now I have no clue.....

Thanks, Tiny's Mom. Call me silly, but i can definately see theresemblance between the siblings. Although, your two look alot morerelated than their brother. I was asking because Cheeto's "sibling" isabout three times his size (its also a wee bit on the heavy side) andhas a very different facial and physical bone structure...

Although they seem to be able to retract their testicles, depending onthe temperature, shouldn't I still be able to see them when he's allstretched out some of the time?

From my calculations, my bun should be no younger than about 4 - 5mths....I have no bad behavior, no visible "sausages". I guess I amwaiting for 'the other shoe to drop"! (Talk about a pessimist, huh?!)

Don Cheeto could be from a cross of twodifferent sized rabbits. Depending on how the genetics work, and I knownothing about rabbit genetics, you could get different sizes ofoffspring.

Also, 2.5 month is the earliest I've heard for testicles to drop, mainly in the smaller breeds. Some take a fair bit longer.

It's possible Don Cheeto is just a sweetheart, even in as a teenager. Not all of them are monsters:p

Any pics yet? I can't wait to see this guy!

Cheetos mom wrote:
Can siblings from the same litter look completely differentand altogether different breeds?
Generally thathappens when breeding two mixes together.

When do the teenage "years" kick in? Are buns always destined for achange in disposition?
Anywhere from about 3months for a Netherland Dwarf to 1 year old for a Flemish Giant. Notall rabbits dispositions change. Apollo has always been sweet andloving even through the teen stuff.

How old are they when they testicles drop? And, are they always realvisible?
Again, anywhere from 3 months on updepending on breed. Most of the time you are able to see thetesticles.

Has anyone ever encountered a male that didn't spray?
Apollo has never sprayed, thank goodness. He is18 months old so I'm hoping since he hasn't done it yet that he's notgoing to.

(My Don Cheeto escaped the other day and the previous owner's dogattempted to herd him back to our patio. I suspect she nipped at him.)If a patch of fur is missing, there is no injury to the skin, but it isa real clear patch, will the fur grow back?
If the dog just pulled the fur, yes it will grow back. I wouldwash the area just to be on the safe side though. Keep an eye on it andif the bald patch spreads it would be aconcern.
I hope thishelps.

I know how you feel. I always feel wellviolated when Apollo decides he just 'loves' my leg.:shock: It is noteasy to remove those 18 pounds of loving bunny either.:p

Tina

stanleysmommy wrote:
I can't see 'anything' from Stanley but I know he's a boybecause he likes the girl kitty a bit too much. :?
lmbo!! poor kitty!

I still have not yet seen any "funboys" as the vet reffered to them andFreddy is 5 months now...as far as spraying, ive never noticed orsmelled any evidence of it from Freddy, except recently when we broughta new bun home...i swear it was like for the first 24 hours all he didwas try and pee on me as much as he could...it was so gross...guess hereally wanted to show that im HIS mom.

i started noticing more "male" behaviors of him around 3 1/2 months..he started getting really jealous of my boyfriend..he would thump athim..chew his hair...chewed a good portion of his thumbnail off (butthats my b/f's fault for going to sleep with the bunny out!) but he'salways been a sweetheart to me and still is nothing but that.

I have (black & white)Dutches. My boy's testicles dropped at about 4 1/2 months,and BOY! :shock: (Sorry to be graphic) They wereVERY obvious! He has never, EVER sprayed. I've beenlucky. He doesn't chew much either...

I think Thumper hit the teenage years yesterdayor something. I went to clean her cage and she scratched me. Then todayshe snapped at me and then grunted sorta. She's becoming a woman Ithink!

dajeti2 wrote:
I know how you feel. I always feel well violatedwhen Apollo decides he just 'loves' my leg.:shock: It is not easy toremove those 18 pounds of loving bunny either.:p

Tina

LOLOLOLOL

10 lbs. is plenty for me. He left a scratch on my wrist when he leapedat me to grab my arm. Luckily the mounting hasn't been a problem sincewinter, but he does like to climb on me, and he is quite heavy.Spraying is our current problem.:p

Rose

Thanks everyone (especially, Tina for answering every one of my questions.)

Do testicles become more evident with the heat or the cold? I wouldguesstimate that they would rescind in the cold. Is that accurate?

I figure Don Cheeto has gotta be at least five months old, and no real sign of "Freddy's funboys"! ;) Maybe, he is Dawn Cheeto?

I only had one buck that sprayed,i have onlyever owned two that sprayed.I have raised rabbits many years.most of myrabbits never have a personaity change in the teenage years.bluebird

Latest posts

Back