Moon not himself...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Hey all,

Moon hasn't been acting himself since yesterday and even though the out of hours charges for vets are crazy, I just was too worried not to take him around there today.

She said she could feel something hard in his tummy, so gave him anti inflammatory, antibiotic and liquid parafin and something to open up the gut. Does this sound right?

Hopefully he will be ok - he was so lethargic and cold earlier, and hasn't eaten or drunk anything that I've seen.

Keep your fingers crossed that the treatment will work as I'm now skint. I don't care about the money once he is ok.

:(

Don't let him go too long without eating or drinking. Syringe some water and canned pumpkin, or baby food to him.

Great job about getting him to the vet so quickly!

I'm sure a much more experienced person will be on soon to help you be sure about the vet's actions.

Has he had anything new added to his diet?

My first response would be to treat for gas with simethicone.

Monitor for eating, drinking, pooping, peeing.

If there's no improvement within 24 hrs I would start treating for stasis, and plan a returnvet visit to check for blockage.

Syringe pedialyte if necessary to avoid dehydration.

Syringe pellet slurryto keep something in his gut.

Maybe some Nutrical (or equivalent) would help as well.

~Jim

Hey Jim,

Nothing new added to his diet no.
Thank you for the advice - I really appreciate it, and am planning to take him back to the vets if he isn't back to himself tomorrow.

JimD wrote:
Has he had anything new added to his diet?

My first response would be to treat for gas with simethicone.

Monitor for eating, drinking, pooping, peeing.

If there's no improvement within 24 hrs I would start treating for stasis, and plan a vet visit to check for blockage.

Syringe pedialyte if necessary to avoid dehydration.

Syringe pellet slurryto keep something in his gut.

Maybe some Nutrical (or equivalent) would help as well.

~Jim

I also recommend giving him simethicone (baby gas meds). This can make a huge difference if he does have gas bubbles trapped in his intestines, and it won't hurt if hedoesn't. You can find dosing info here:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

I'm not a fan of liquid parafin but I don't think it should hurt. Everything else sounds okay for now. If he doesn't get better he might need gut motility drugs to get his intestines moving

Is he eating or drinking? Peeing and pooping?Hydration is very important. If he is drinking on his own,you can encourage him to drink more by giving him a second water bowl that is flavored with a little juice, vanilla flavoring, or flavored Pedialyte. If he's not drinking on his own you'll need to syringe fluids into him- water or Pedialyte. If he's not eating and it's getting close to 24 hours since he's eaten, you'll need to syringe feed a little food too. You can grind up his pellets and add water to make a thin mush. I usually add a little Nutri-cal to this as well, and canned pumpkin if they like the taste.

:pray:

Hiya!

He seems to be coming back to his normal self - flicking me off when I tried to catch him to give him his next 3ml of liquid paraffin and he has started drinking from his water bowl - I put it under the bed with him.
I haven't seen him eat anything yet but I'll watch and see how he gets on.

I never thought I'd be pleased to have trouble catching him, but at least it means his spirit is coming back.

Fingers crossed. Thank you all so much for the advice and support when I needed it!

:bunnydance:

He just used his litter tray and peed and pooped! Halleluyah!
The poops look a little grey - so something wasn't right, but he had been chewing my kitchen rug yesterday, so I'm guessing that has caused a problem. Don't know why he suddenly decided to eat it but its getting trashed to be safe. He is also moulting so that might be a factor too.Who knows with these complicated rabbits of ours?

He has one more liquid paraffin syringe to go at midnight and then hopefully he will be fine. He is chewing everything as usual, and has eaten some hay, so fingers crossed he is back to his old ways of destroying my home. Never thought I'd be happy about that. Hehe.

Again - thanks to those of you who gave advice when I needed it.

x

:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

SO glad to hear there's some poop.

:litterhealthy:YAY!!

_______
Nadia

Me too!
Well got up this morning and he was at the dining room door ready to escape and chew my walls some more. More poop in his litter tray - not loads but his gut is moving again, and they look the normal color which is reassuring.
He is peeing as well - I just put litter pellets without hay in his litter tray so I can see clearly how much he is doing.

Aside from his mouth being grubby from my attempts at getting the liquid paraffin in him - he seems to be on the mend. :cool:

Hmmm....Moons tummy is rumbling really loudly every so often and he is grinding his teeth quite loud at the same time- then he stops.
Is this the issue clearing (gas?) or should I be getting concerned?
He was active this morning and has been using his litter tray as I said.

:( Poor love.

Sounds like his tummy is still bothering him. Try giving him gas meds, it should help a lot.Gently tummy massages can help too. At least he's pooping again.

Any baby gas meds from a pharmacy, right?
I'll pick some up now when I collect the kids from school.

Thanks so much naturestee - I'll try that to make him more comfortable.

Oh oh - hold on - he's just come over and started eating his pellets. He's munching away.
I'm going to get the gas meds anyway but thats a good sign I reckon.

I've got a bottle of baby gas medicine on hand just in case. It's always handy to have around.

You can give him some if you think he's still a bit gassy, it won't hurt him to have some if doesn't need it. Give him a full dropper full (my gas meds came with an eye dropper dispenser).

--Dawn

I got infacol and just gave him an eye dropper full. He was none too pleased but when I lifted him he snuggled for awhile, and I massaged his tummy a little. It was gurgling like crazy earlier.
I really hope he'll be on the mend now - just got some flat leaf parsley - he has never had it before.....should I wait until he is better to try him with it, or is it safe to give him?

Thanks again guys.

He should feel better soon. If he's still feeling ill in a few hours, you can give him another dose.

I'd hold off on new veggies until he feels better.

I'll wait and play it by ear now - literally!When his tummy stops gurgling and he is back to his cheeky old ways I'll relax completely but for now I know I've done all I can do and will just have to be patient.

He is sitting grooming himself now and seems more comfortable so touch wood.

At risk of sounding like a broken record I want to thank you all again- I'm going to give you a break from answering my questions and concentrate on giving lots of love to my bunny boys.

hugs,

Adele
x

To finish this thread off properly I wanted to let everyone know that thanks to your advice and help, Moon has made a full recovery and is back to normal - poops and all. It took a while but he got there and I'm so grateful for having this place to come to for support and advice. It's the best forum EVER!

:colors:

Latest posts

Back