Moods? Stages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
Bo has me wondering now. Have any of your rabbits gone through series of moods? or stages where they are more snuggly or something - not during teen time or anything like that.

Last night, I was holding him. I had to trim his nails, and I was grooming him (pulling some tufts of hair out of the back leg which is molting) and he again just flopped out on me and even laid his head down on my shoulder and went to sleep!!! :shock:

Now, he's always been one to like to be groomed for a bit - but to be all sleepy and stuff like he has been - it's not his normal behavior. It almost makes me worried!! LOL!

The one thing that I can think of that is different is that I haven't been using a zoom groom on him. Maybe he's not fond of that?

Mine go through phases.

I think, for what I can work out, there are those bought on by outside circumstances, and those from inside circumstance.

I know you said not during teen time, but as they age and get older they will also change and stuff. when my buns have gotten to about 18 months or so they have calmed down and become more snuggly, or been more willing to have their noses rubbed, not just run around like a madball.

I've also found that moulting can change their moods. Sky has been a right grump recently, because of his moult.

Weather and things can affect it too, as can ourselves. Some bunnies, like other animals, know when we need comfort, and they bring it as best they can, other times, if we are super relaxed, or calmer than normal, then they try to take advantage of that with a good old snuggle.

So yes, I agree that rabbits go through phases, for whatever reason. It's lovely when they are in a nice phase, but not a nasty phase though. That's bad.

I never thought about some things affecting them. Maybe he senses something?

I've always been able to hold him for a while at least, but it's just different right now.

He was really loving when he was young and then he went through this stage of just being hateful. Maybe it was the molting he was going through. I still wonder if they had mites and I just got rid of them with that one dose of ivermectin.

He nipped my arm yesterday but it was because he was tugging on my shirt...... I don't think he realized he had my flesh too! (he fluffs and thinks my shirt is part of the blankie to fluff I guess).....

He's also lost a bit of weight and his hocks are better....... maybe he just feels better.

It's sure nice to have him so loving and happy to flop out and relax. I love holding him like that!

When I first got Wildfire, she hated being held and would squirm and try to jump out of my arms.

It wasn't until I'd had her for about a year that she would start snuggling with me. She was about 2 years old when she started, and she only got more snuggly with time. Before she passed away (3 years), she would snuggle with me for up to an hour. She would fall asleep or let me know she liked it by doing teeth purs.

I do think that with rabbits, the age of 2-3 years brings about a very calming change in their attitude. It seems to be the age at which if they are going to become very snuggly that the behaviour starts coming out.

--Dawn

It seems like Phinn goes through MAJOR mood swings.

Sometimes he will get in this mood, where he will turn SO vicious, lunging, grunting, etc. I litteraly have to run out of their pen, because I am truly scared. Everymove I make he follows.

My family has seen it, and they say it looks like he is rabid :shock:!

He is usually SUCH a nice boy, and super snuggly, but sometimes, watch out :?!

REALLY?~!

I know that if I eat fresh onion and Bo smells it on me - he might bite! He's bitten me in the face over it!

I think I know part of the issue tho..... I think he's been cold. His cage is near a window when it used to be against a central wall. The door is near the old spot so I figured it would be better away from there....

Last night he fluffed his blankies all up and pulled up the one that lines his top level. He hasn't done that since I made his new cage.

So, today I moved his cage away from the window more and gave him another blankie. I gave CLover a BIG blankie to lay on. She was in heaven! LOL! I also put a fleece blanket over the back of Bo's cage to insulate it and Clover's over the end she sleeps in.

I will also be taking advantage of the cold bunny snuggles later this evening! :biggrin2:

Alice is definitely bipolar! She gets in moods where she'll dig constantly and lunge at anything or anyone. Most of the time she's friendly and sweet :D.

Back