Monty, my [big] baby bunny 2012

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awwwww! Look at her collar! My goodness that is so sad yet so cute! Poor girl, I can't believe that she opened herself up like that. How terrible that is. I'm so glad you took her to the vet, good catch.
She'll heal soon enough and be back to normal. Thankfully she's eating just fine!

I'm so sorry to hear that happened, but at least you took care of it quickly and efficiently. Scary thing that. I wish you guys luck.

Monty is absolutely miserable. She hates the collar, and woke me up so frequently last night wrestling with it, that I am exhausted. On top of that, my left knee feels like I have a knife behind my patella because I tripped down the stairs Tuesday morning and really need to sit still with ice on it. Monty won't let me sit still. She's probably even more exhausted than I am, poor thing.

On a bit of a bright side, medicines were easy to administer this morning. I'm still rather against trying to forcefully syringe them to her because she refuses to be bunrritoed and I feel she doesn't need any more stress. She'll kinda lick at the Metacam, but loses interest quickly. The antibiotic and probiotic both smell yucky, so I don't blame her for not lapping away at them. I loaded up the blender with 2 giant leaves of green leaf lettuce, about 7 chunks of pineapple, and 6 blueberries with 2 shots of water and made a bun smoothie out of that. I measured out a little over a tablespoon of that and mixed her meds into it. She lapped it up very willingly and thought it was a treat. I licked the spatula that I scooped the blender out with, and while it sounds like the mixture might be very sweet, it tastes mostly of lettuce. The pineapple and blueberry stand out more in the aroma. The rest of the 1/3 cup or so of smoothie is in the fridge.

Oh good, her pellets seem to have brought on a little food coma. Finally, she's resting. NOBODY DARE WAKE THE BABY, I'LL KILL YOU.

Oh good, her pellets seem to have brought on a little food coma. Finally, she's resting. NOBODY DARE WAKE THE BABY, I'LL KILL YOU.

LOL! Hurry, now's your chance to rest :) Sorry about your knee and Monty's troubles. Sounds like a pain, but at least she liked her smoothie. So, did the vet not think that vet wrap would work to keep her from messing with the incision? It seems less bothersome than a collar.

Awww poor girl! I bet she's like WTF is around my neck?! I love when they go into food coma's, its hilarious.

I'm glad you were able to find an alternative way to give her her meds! That's pretty smart. I bet the smoothie was actually pretty good. I love any kind of juiced veggie/fruit. Hopefully her meds make her feel better and she has a speedy recovery. I still can't believe she opened herself up like that. I swear, buns are nuts. lol.

I tried and tried to get the vet to just wrap her, but the techs think they know best. If she continues to be this miserable, I'm taking her in again for a wrap. They said they'd try it if the collar didn't work or if she stopped eating with the collar on. I might just claim that and make them burn the fluffybunnybutt thing. It pisses me off. They gave me some garbage about Flemish's spines being so much longer, that even with the wrap they might still be able to bend and get at the wound. I totally just saw a neutered Flemish on here in a wrap! I forget whose, but it was that exact case that made me ask for a wrap. At least she wouldn't be going bananas trying to scratch her ears and wash her face!

If you have a horse tack or feed shop near by, you can pick some vet wrap up there for a couple bucks a roll. You can also get it at medical supply stores. It's called coban there.

I think it was Vosify's you saw wrapped up.

Lol, that would drive me crazy too, to have an itchy ear and not be able to get to it.

Last edited:
Oh no Missy just getting caught up on Montys troubles. Wow. Too bad she did that much damage to herself! I have to echo Jenny and say I was pretty lucky too. Agnes never even bothered hers once. But also her incision was like maybe an inch and the shaved area just a bit bigger so I don't think she even knew it was there.
The collar does suck. I've just never read/heard of much success with rabbits and collars. They just get to stressed with them on there :(
So sorry your knee is hurt on top of it all. I'm sure Monty and you will get through this and it will all be worth it in the end.
Hang in there!

I'd need to vet to put it on. Monty SUPER freaks out when I lift her or burrito her myself. Beardyman isn't very good at following directions on the go, and it makes for more stress during bunny handling. 10 lbs of squirming, heavy-breathing bunny is scary :/ and then trying not to pop stitches on top of that? That makes for nauseous, heavy-breathing me.

Oh, that poor little girl, she must be so miserable or should I says girls, I bet you´re not feeling too great about this either. It´s terrible when they´re not well and even worse when you´re not well either. And I wouldn´t like to be holding a scruggling ten pound bunny, holding a struggling 3lb one is enough stress.

I hope she settles down and can manage these few days and hope your knee gets better. I know how you feel, I´ve had a bad left knee for a few days, thinks its a trapped nerve but kills when I bend it and couldn´t kneel on the floor if my life depended on it.

Yeah I would want the vet to do it too if she squirms that much. I think you have to gauze on the wound too? Maybe. And if she doesn't like for you to touch her tummy then that probably wouldn't work. Poor thing. I would make them wrap her, because collars are terrible. I would tell a fib and get them to take the collar and wrap her instead ;)
As I was typing this, Ellie's new toy arrived! Yay. I wish Monty could play with the toy too! :(

No need to make anything up. Just tell them the collar isn't working and you want her wrapped instead. Your rabbit, your choice, not theirs.

I'd go today, but we were just there yesterday and today it's 20 degrees colder :/ I pulled the collar so it's flipped upward, because when it was down she could barely walk and would trip and almost bonk her nose on the floor. And she was digging at it like crazy when her front feet would step on it and pin her head. When it's up, she just licks it, no biting, but it bothers her ears. I just can't win. I peeked at her tummy and it looks like it did the first two days she was home. Just a neat, sewn-shut wound. No oozing or scabbing, just a big naked baby tummy :(

"I hate you"
2z657ki.jpg

"I hate you, but this cilantro's okay"
t7lh5x.jpg

"I don't hate this smoothie"
2e0qlpt.jpg

Video from last night:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_GSVkE5DOk[/ame]

She seems a little less hectic today. She's resting for longer periods (instead of hopping up every 10 minutes like last night) and struggling less. Ugh I wish I had a playpen already so I could set it up around her cage and lay with her.

I am so glad to see she´s eating which is a big plus but she does look so sorry for herself with that thing on. I agree if you want the wrap instead of the collar, they should be OK with that, it´s your choice and you´re the one that´s looking after this precious little girl.

Hope she heals quickly and gets back to normal for you.

She also occasionally "snips" a couple pieces before deciding to YANK one out of the bunch. Her chewing actually sounds different when she's purposely snipping, it's funny.

Poor giant baby. She looks so miserable. And so pissed at the world! Then again, I would be too if my head was in a cone. If you get her wrapped, I think she'd look good in purple!

Poor baby. I am trying to get caught up and I missed a lot apparently. If you get a vet wrap get one that can not be chewed through. If you get the normal kind they can chew through that in a matter of minutes. Get well soon Monty :)

Back