Monsters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so I shipped Monsters and Fluffy over to Mom and Dad's for the week as I'm having issues with the Apt. Landlord.

Monsters isn't doing well. From what i'm being told she's not moving around and not eatting much. I know she wasn't given enough meds earlier but was given the correct dose latter that day. I'm just wondering if Mom didn't shake the meds would that be the reason why she's not responding to them. As she was doing pretty good when she was here. Before I head over there to check on her and bring her back is there anything i should buy???

Worried sick about her. Rebecca

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:
OK so I shipped Monsters and Fluffy over to Mom and Dad's for the week as I'm having issues with the Apt. Landlord.

Monsters isn't doing well. From what i'm being told she's not moving around and not eatting much. I know she wasn't given enough meds earlier but was given the correct dose latter that day. I'm just wondering if Mom didn't shake the meds would that be the reason why she's not responding to them. As she was doing pretty good when she was here. Before I head over there to check on her and bring her back is there anything i should buy???

Worried sick about her. Rebecca
What are they on? I would be worried too! Let us know.:)

Hi, if I remember she was on an anti biotic and metacam for pain? I don't think not shaking it would cause the medicine to be ineffective. SO that shouldn't be the issue.

It sounds like she may have GI upset from stress and possibly a change in her medicine schedule. It can also be complications from her last/present issues. Can you book her in to see the vet very soon?

You should buy some simethicone if you don't already have some- liquid form is best. My guys like Ovol, it tastes like mint. You will also need a syringe. Look at this link- they have good advice. http://vrra.org/gasremedy.htm

If it's gas or you think so, just go ahead and buy the Ovol or whatever it's called and give two doses to start, it won't hurt, even if it isn't gas, but it sounds like it might be. Keep us posted!:)

I gave her some Oval and rummed her tummy for a good 10mins or so and put her down and seems a little better but not hopping in a strait line. But she is up and moving. :)

Her poops are soft. She ate a little piece of Pineapple before the Oval.
Mom has some water out for her and she drank a little. She's still sore.

I just read your other post to refresh my memory.

If she is losing her balance and dragging her L hind leg this could be the parasite ecuniculi. It often times exhibits itself when the bun is older and the immune systen is lower.
I will give you a thread to it and it probably warrants another trip to the vet. Is your vet really knowledgeable about rabbits? If not you need to find one that is...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14471&forum_id=10
Please keep us up-dated

angieluv wrote:
I just read your other post to refresh my memory.

If she is losing her balance and dragging her L hind leg this could be the parasite ecuniculi. It often times exhibits itself when the bun is older and the immune systen is lower.
I will give you a thread to it and it probably warrants another trip to the vet. Is your vet really knowledgeable about rabbits? If not you need to find one that is...

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14471&forum_id=10
Please keep us up-dated
Yes she is losing her balance, she dragging both legs. I have her setup in my room in the bottom of her cage with out the lid with some towels down so it's soft for her. She's currenly eatting some pellets and pinnapple. She drank a little bit of water. Her poops very soft and messy as they are almost runny as she always dirty.

She sounds very sick

when you talked about her sore leg I misunderstood what you meant...
If your vet knows rabbits there is a partialtreatment for this problem. It is called panacur. it is not a totally successful cure but It can help inhibit the reproduction of the parasite.

if her poops are runny you don't need pineapple juice anymore.

you could purchase a probiotic at a petstore or farm store. In the states we have one called benebac..if you cannot get that you can get a probiotic at a farm store they sell it in large tubes for horses and other animals and you want to make sure that it has the microorganism lactobacillus casei in it. This product can help reestablish the good bacteria in your rabbit's GI tract. You can give monsters just a little bit of the gel.

you also need to get electrolyte replacement; can get pedialyte at the drugstore . unflavored is best because it is lower in sugar. this will help replace the electrolytes that are lost when Monsters has loose poops.

This is a lot of info to throw at you all at once

you're best bet is to take Monsters to a rabbit knowledeable vet plus try to do the other things that were suggested.

We always take our bunnies to the U of S vet clinic as they specailise in Exotics. I don't drive so i can't get Benebac. I will wait for mom to come over after work and we will call vet and see what he says. I can run down to the store and get pedialyte for her as I have a strip mall 2 blocks down. I was given her frozen Pineapple as i knew she would eat it. Right now she's just lying down on the towel i put down for.

that's good that you can get the pedialyte..it is usually in the infant section.

you can only do the best that you can do and it sound like you are :)

I couldn't find pedialyte at Shoppers but i did find what i believe is the generic brand. What i found was LIfe - Pediatric Electrolyte unflavored 1L. I have her 3ml is that enough or should i give her more?? And howtend shound i give it to her?

Thanx for the help Rebecca

It's been a couple of hours since i last updated. I just gave her the Antibiotics and some oval and a good tummy rub. As soon as put her back in bed she took off. She's feeling a bit better but when she hop's she hop's crocked. She doesn' hop in strait line more at an angle. I would take a video for u but the digital video Camera i got the the video file isn't a normal file, so most programs won't upload it.

Your vet sounds like they'd know what was going on. I agree that it could be EC. I'm glad you're doing your best on your own to take care of her, but EC is a very bad disease that usually requires treatment with a deworming medicine called Panacur. Definitely get her to the vet soon.:?

So sorry, Luvr. :( You're doing a great job though.

I'd be inclined to do what you can at home with meds, but I don't think I'd put her through a battery of tests and x-rays, so in that respect I agree with your Mom, it just may be her time.

Often you can tell if they're not having any fun, they're tired of fighting and they're ready to go. Listen to what her eyes tell you.

Sorry that you have to make that decision.

She's had a very long, good life. So sad we all can't live forever.

sas :sad:

Pipp is right ...

but if you are still wondering about the pedialyte just give her as much as she will take of it in a syringe. if she likes the taste and can drink it out of a bowl that's OK too.
let us know how Monsters is doing??

Just got back from a meeting for my trip to Churchill. She loves the pedialyte, I was away when the vet called so i never got a chance to talk to him and i don't have answering machine. My mom will call the office again and have him call her after work.

I will be giving her the pain meds soon and some more fluids. She looks unhappy that she can't move around but happy to see me.

Gotta go. Will check back in the morning with u all. Thanx for the great help.

Rebecca and Monsters

Oh was wondering if Snuffels is contagius??? As she has a bit of it and was wondering if she could of passed it on to Fluffy as nose is dirty.

Latest posts

Back