Monsters has a sore back end

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My sister Rabbit who is at least 12 years old is showing pain in her back end as she continues to rejust her self and doesn't want to bare weight on 1 of her back legs. I have an unlimited perscription of Metcam for her as the vet thought she has arthitis. The proplem is doesn't seem to lasting 24hrs. As i gave her some last night around 9pm and its now 230pm the next day. Is it ok to give her some more or should i wait till tonight. She has a vet visit booked for Monday.

I personally would want to wait to increase the dosage on an older bun before I talked to the vet. I would give the vet a call and ask him. because he knows this specific rabbit. I wouldn't wait until Mon to call .
When you do go the vet appointment ask the vet if a stronger med could be ordered for her

She shouldn't be in discomfort at her age.

Im so sorry your girl isnt well. I assume the vet checked over her leg and foot to be sure she didnt have any sores or fractures or anything? What about an xray?

Metacam really isnt a very strong pain med for bunnies- its sort of like tylenol for us. Also, Ive heard it can also cause kidney problems if used long term so be sure to ask your vet about that and be sure shes getting lots of fluids in conjunction with the Metacam for now.

I agree with Angieluv, I wouldnt want to increase the dose until you see your vet. Whats the concentration and how much are you giving a day now?

I would definitely ask about stronger pain meds when you go in. Heres a link with info on Pain Management.

Hope your girl is feeling better soon :)

Haley

Haley wrote:
Im so sorry your girl isnt well. I assume the vet checked over her leg and foot to be sure she didnt have any sores or fractures or anything? What about an xray?

Metacam really isnt a very strong pain med for bunnies- its sort of like tylenol for us. Also, Ive heard it can also cause kidney problems if used long term so be sure to ask your vet about that and be sure shes getting lots of fluids in conjunction with the Metacam for now.

I agree with Angieluv, I wouldnt want to increase the dose until you see your vet. Whats the concentration and how much are you giving a day now?

I would definitely ask about stronger pain meds when you go in. Heres a link with info on Pain Management.

Hope your girl is feeling better soon :)

Haley

She was given the meds cause she was peeing her self all the time so her back end was always wet. My vet gave us the metacam and antibotics incase it was an infection but after the antibotics were done she was still peeing herself so the vet said it was arthtis. Her being in pain from her back end is something new. The metacam works for just over 12hrs.

She gets 0.13ml ever 24hrs. I felt her backend and legs and couldn't feel anything weird but im no expert. There isn't any levels in apt so it's just a flat surface mostly carpet and some lanolium... So i'm not sure what she could of done to hurt herself. She is a fulltime indoor bunny.. I recently moved her in with my Boy Fluffy to keep her company. And is also harmless. We are seeing the vet on Monday. There is an opening on Thursday but it's in the Am. That doesn't work for me cause i currently work nights.

I would ask the vet about xrays for her leg and back, in case she may have injured herself. Just like with older people, their bones can be more fragile.

Also, call and ask about getting a prescription for Tramadol for pain relief. It generally works better than Metacam and it can also be used in combination with it. Make sure to let them know that the Metacam is not lasting long enough and she needs more pain relief.

Oh, and see if she'd like to snuggle with a warm rice sock or Snuggle Safe. That can help ease the aches and pains and make her more comfortable.

:hug:

The dosage is a maximum per 24 hours, you can split it into two lower doses as long as the first dose is a double -- you need a big 'kick-off' dose. And unless Monsters is tiny, that's not a very high dose, I imagine it can and will be increased when you see your vet.

The important part about Metacam is to make sure you give food and water WITH the dose. I think it tends to restrict the blood flow to the kidneys, but it can be tolerated long term if the rabbit is well-hydrated, so water or juice is very important. I was warned about food, which I believe helps ward off GI issues, but not water. Pipp would strain to pee small amounts of concentrated urine after her dose, which wasn't good.

Pipp I think gets .25 cc's of Metacam over 24 hours for her molar spurs, and she's 2.8 lbs. She was initially prescribed .2 cc, but needed a boost. Scooter got .18 I think, and he was 3 lbs. They do need adjustments seeing as tolerance levels vary.

At that age, the problem could be arthritis, or any number of things. I'll try and dig up some Library info that will explain what to look for in case the vet isn't all that rabbit savvy.

Hope she feels better soon.

sas

Our vet is very rabbit savy, they train at the University that does excotists and the only peopel that we will see. Nobody else tends to specalise or know much about rabbits unlike at the University where there are people specifically just for rabbits. Monsters is a small bun, almost weightless because she was never a big eater, but is very much loved by us!

Hi sorry if the other message sounded a bit roud, my sister wrote it and woudn't type what i asked her too. My computer is in the shop so i have to use hers.

I know people have talked about warm rice sock or Snuggle Safe what are these? I will try anything. Can she use these and still sleep with fluffy or should she go back to her own cage??

Thanx everyone for all your help.

Rebecca

A rice sock is a cheap, non-electric heating pad. All you do is take a sock, put dry rice in it, and tie it shut. Heat it in the microwave and give to your bunny to snuggle with. Just keep an eye out to make sure they don't think it smells tasty. A Snuggle Safe is a hard plastic disc that is made as a heating pad for animals. You heat it in the microwave and it stays warm for hours. I bought mine at Petsmart in the dog bedding section. It comes with a soft, washable clothcover.

Warmth can help ease feelings of soreness or stiffness for an arthritic bun and I also like to use it after surgeries or for buns with GI stasis. And my orphan baby bun as she can't keep warm on her own.

Does anyone know where you can get a Snuggle Safe? Other than Petsmart, that is, don't have one of those around here. Been meaining to make a thread about that, but figured I would add it here since It would be helpful to LWPB too.

Oh ok. I though I replyed to this but i don't see it. I will go out tomorrow and look look for the Snuggle Safe. If i can't find it I will buy Rice. I don't think Monsters would eat it but I know if I left her with Fluffy he would. He would like of it as tasty food. He will eat almost anything u stick in front of his face.

Rebecca

Why don't you make a separate post in the general forum section asking about Snuggle safe. More people will see the post there than here. Sorry you went all day with your question unanswered :)

Latest posts

Back