Monkeys are starting new food...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndsy

Reaction score
When I took the monkeys to the vet yesterday, sshe advised me to try some new food.

It's a timothey hay based pellet. It's made by oxbow. It's supposed tobe very high in fiber. The fiber content is 21-25%! So i'm mixing it inwith thier old food right now...

Needless to say they hate it! They actually 'dig' thier food. They digup all the new stuff, and only eat the old stuff...:X

MONKEYS!

Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do about this?

OR

Any suggestions in general?

:)

Funny Boys! You crack me up with how you describe them. It's obvious they have you wrapped.

Don't shock the monkey. :shock:

Just a few pieces here and there and gradually add a few more each day.I wonder if you had a heavy hand with mixing in the new food. They arepicky little fellows, aren't they?

It's been noted that changing food can cause stress in them. It doesn'tsound like your boys are stressed by anything, but just wanted you tomake sure they do eat their food and poops remain the same size. Idon't think you need to be worried, just thought I'd mention it for youto keep in mind though.

-Carolyn

When you have really stubborn rabbits that wonteat the new food you can give the portion of new pellets (that youwould mix into the old stuff) in the morning when they are hungry. Youcan give it alone because then they should eat some. Then later on givethem the ration of old pellets.

DOn't switch them over all at once. Iswitched Bo from Kaytee to the Oxbow and now he lovessssssss hispellets. It takes time but the benefit is worth it :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
DOn't switch them over all at once. I switched Bofrom Kaytee to the Oxbow and now he lovessssssss his pellets.It takes time but the benefit is worth it :)
I hope that wasn't what you think I meant. I meant that the portionyou'd mix together with the old stuff when switching over you'd put inthe bowl first and then later give them the old stuff. But that's onlyif your rabbit's realy picky and wont eat them at all.

No, I didn't think that.

What I did and I don't know if this is best or what ..... I give Bo hisportion of pellets once a day. I would mix them together.....and of course he picked out the ones he wanted and left theOxbow. Until he ate those, he got no more pellets.He always ate them by the end of the day. Then I would givehim a few more of the mix to munch.

I started out 1:3, then 2:4, 1:1, and finally complete oxbow.

Carolyn, I love the little monkeys in your post! Thats definatly them!

Oh their still monkeys!;)

They love my feet! I don't know what it is but they always have to besniffing or rubbing, (chinning) and laying ontop of my feet! LMBO! Ohand tis morning they found the little door stopper on the wall! Thatwas sooo funny! They kept hitting it so it would make theloud'boing'niose it makes and then run away! LMBO:D

I'm slowly intro ducing the new food, 3/4 old, 1/4 new, and I tell youthey don't like the new stuff AT ALL! When I got up this morning Ialways peek my head it thier room to see how they are doing, thismorning to my suprise, they had tipped overthier ceramic bowl of food!
:shock:

Little monkeys! So as I sat there piking up the tinylittle pieces of food, they ran around thier room, happily skippingaround, doing binkeys, rolling on the floor, all happy. While Imummbled 'things' under my breath! LMBO! Those littlemonkeys!:X

And in a couple weeks, they can start trying out some veggies!

I know they'll LOVE that!

:)

Lyndsy,

I made the switch to Oxbow last month. Mine had the sameinitial reaction, but they LOVE it now. It just takes alittle time and patience.

Mine also prefer Oxbowhay now, and refuse to eat anything else.

Good luck!

Laura

Yep, Bi. Bo is the same. Only the Oxbow please lol!

Have you used anything besides the Timothy hay? Bo loves theOrchard grass and Oat hay. Both are fine for adult bunnies.

I had to get a secured crock for Bo once he got to a certainage. He always flips dishes and stuff and was throwing hiscrock to get our attention so he lost that one LOL!

Back